The Privacy Battle to Save Google From Itself

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Nov 2, 2018.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Lily Hay Newman 11.01.18

2. 142395

142395 Guest

Better article than I thought. Many ppl will admit Google's contribution to security, but how about privacy? Probably won't. But it's true they're also pioneer in developing cutting-edge tech to protect privacy, which can easily be missed if you prefer too simplistic thinking that "Google is ad company who makes money by selling user info so what the hell does Google invests in privacy!?" Google's business model surely puts the inherent limit in privacy protection and it's very questionable if they have been doing the best, but these facts don't hurt another fact that Google have been done very good job in other way.
    They're also relatively better at communicating it, just compare their privacy policy w/ M$' long bureaucratic one. But it's the real challenge how to communicate such tech like differential privacy as probably it's hard for most ppl to understand why sth like this is possible:
    And the article itself admits:
    Don't think that I'm defending Google, I'm just sayin' the fact is fact (yes, it's only one side of the story - just more often missed one) and it's important to make it clear what you care in terms of privacy.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.