The official Kerio Thread

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by no13, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

People.
    There's no Kerio forum here.
    But I like Kerio, and I'm stuck with it (55 man hours of configs went into it).
    So if anyone wants to talk about Kerio in a general way... here would be a nice place.
    Right now... on the table is the [GLOW="green"]kerio config.[/GLOW]
    we all know it's hard to set up.

1. you can trade kerio config.s by discussing here.
    2. Can anyone tell me how I can *MERGE* kerio config files?

Edit...Mr Blaze's advice : beware of lurkers. I second that.
    try to use this post for your nefarious purpose and you are going down.
    The mods.
    They're watching.

2. no13

Hey... where IS the official forum for kerio? is it at Broadband Reports?

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Guest

4. no13

dsl reports = broadband reports
    Thanks for kerio site link tho'

does anyone remember Genius from IndieSoft (www.indiesoft.com)?
    A versatile net utility-set, it went abandonware long time back, but its still more powerful than anything else. Has 50+ different components including a port watcher that listens for trojan activity AND POP3 checker, NSLookup, ping tracroute, whois... the works. Its last build had the Office XP menu skin (it was a tray icon, menu and a set of dialog boxes... No main dialog box!! ).
    I forgot why exactly I brought this up, so I'll edit a postscript to this message when I remember.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i use this for kerio 2.1.x
    "Tinylogger is a small tool that shows the logfile from Tiny Personal Firewall or from Kerio Personal Firewall. It has been designed to be small and easy to use. With this tool you are also able to sort, filter, copy, search or export the log to a text file or to a HTML file."

http://hem.passagen.se/pluppis/dator_egnaprogram.html

6. no13

Major Source of Headaches in Kerio v4
    Kerio hasn't got a lotta troubles associated with it.
    So if you're having start up troubles (e.g. CPU consumption, Can't connect to service error or can't open DB socket() error )... the trouble can be
    1. You have a conflicting firewall - Except ZA v5 (the rest versions are OK), I don't know of any other app that conflicts so OPENLY with Kerio.
    2. You have Blocked kerio using another firewall from using 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1- they're critical to Kerio.
    3. You have a virus/spyware starting up... they generally come from p2p apps (kazaa - 24 hrs and you're infected)
    If it's some other error like you can't connect to a particular port or protocol... then your firewall is having incorrect set up (do check the packet filters) or One of the default - non changeable - rules is interfering (the ones in the IDS ). [I tried to change those, and during failing I realised that compromising them would mean certain demise for my PC]

7. no13

A few decent kerio configs are available at http://www.geocities.com/yosponge and the site gives a lotta other info on how to fight spyware and keep your PC safe.
    A piece of advice, though...
    Take the blocked ips from Kerio's configs<they're to block adservers> and add them to Protowall, Proxomitron or Peerguardian (or any other such product)... this increases your net connection theoughput (Kerio takes longer to examin packets against IPs than these products, and they put hardly any load on the system)
    Note: Unblock "Microsoft x" rules (x=1,2,4) as they are needed to surf MSN sites.

8. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

9. Ron_P

Ron_P Registered Member

CPU Usage: I've had to exclude the Kerio directory from monitoring with both NOD32 and AVK. Doing that brought CPU cycles down to normal.

P

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yep Bowserman, :) I use blitzenZeus's rules with Kerio 2.1.5, works well with my router and other security programs + the bonus of using very low resources.

Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.