The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

What's new here, really? NSA has always had the best, fastest, most, etc, etc hardware. This is just their "new box". The old stuff just wasn't worth upgrading any more, and they were running out of space. Also, the Chinese are hot on their tail.

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

You really think Congress was well aware of NSA practices like the AT&T tap room in San Francisco (and others like in Los Angeles, Seattle etc) and that the whole spectrum of communication that was tapped there was only targeting foreign communication/to-and-from terrorists?
    If ordered to do so by the government but at the same time actually restricted by law, going rogue is tricky to define.
    (I don't think the NSA cares much for rouge :p)

3. mirimir

The NSA has reportedly asserted that it's not bound by US law. They're above all that, or in another dimension, or whatever. At least, that's what I got from Puzzle Palace.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I grew up in an age where we were taught that the U.S. was not a surveillance state like the Soviet Union, etc. etc. Well...

We have become what we once feared.

That building is a symbol of a greater sickness.

5. mirimir

We were all taught stuff. Much of it, I now believe, was inaccurate and misleading. But, in any case, you could be proud of your nation's intelligence capabilities.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Just because there are already established standards, doesn't mean they aren't working on something new and not sharing it..that's called having an advantage. Remember the Enigma machine? Oh, no, the NSA doesn't control government officials, that's what corporations do, at least here. But if you think for a split second Congress knows every little thing the NSA is doing, and gives them the green light on everything, you are sorely mistaken.

They don't even know many operations of the CIA, and the CIA is quite watered down compared to the NSA. That's not conspiracy talk, that's straight fact. It's also how things like Sept 11th occur, which is exactly how it did happen, agencies keeping things to themselves for far too long. They don't have to be "rogue", it's simply the nature of the beast.

Let me tell you a little secret about your run of the mill government official, they're the biggest hindrance an intel agency can have, If you went to them to green light everything, you'd hardly ever get anything done.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, once upon a time we weren't in this position. Believe it or not there was a time when you really weren't considered a suspect before you ever even did anything wrong, and a time that the government actually had checks and balances. Those days are long gone. As far as our nations capabilities, we're steadily losing our advantage in many areas.

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Are you saying that the government is keeping the government honest?

I'm not saying the NSA doesn't hide certain projects and I'm not saying they do.

I think it's likely that they or DARPA or someone is working on next-gen encryption, but I also don't think that that means they have holes in their encryption.

9. mirimir

Just FYI:

-http://www.amazon.com/Puzzle-Palace-National-Intelligence-Organization/dp/0140067485
    -http://www.amazon.com/Body-Secrets-Ultra-Secret-National-Security/dp/0385499086
    -http://www.amazon.com/Pretext-War-Americas-Intelligence-Agencies/dp/0385506724
    -http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Factory-Ultra-Secret-Eavesdropping-America/dp/0385521324

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've got news for you mate, it's not just happening in the US!

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/nsa-denies-wired/

Ladies and gents, damage control is kicking in. When the public denials start rolling in, you know the truth is rearing its ugly little head.

@Daveski: No, it's not. More and more countries are doing this now or have been for some time.

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

As the conversation turned political, thread closed. Thank you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.