The NOD32 virus scan message gets added to incoming e-mails even though it's disabled

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by noduser, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noduser

noduser Registered Member

I use Opera and I use the built-in mail client; and I noticed something funny. I received an e-mail with the "This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system." meassage, but I had EMON disabled.

o_O

Oh, and EMON wasn't just disabled--I had quit the entire NOD32 control center.

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

EMON is for outlook only. If you use another pop3 email client it's IMON that add the footer. IMON have a similar setting as EMON for the notification.

When the footer is added by emon it look's like this:
    NOD32 EMON 2255 (20070509) information

When added by IMON it looks like this:
    NOD32 2255 (20070509) information

Also when you close the control panel that doesn't deactive nod32 in any way. So closing the control panel won't prevent any footer to be added if the settings is set to add this footer.

3. noduser

Well I just I closed both the kui and the kernel and sent an e-mail to myself and the footer still appeared.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Re: The NOD32 virus scan message gets added to incoming e-mails even though it's disa

IMON> Setup> POP3 tab

Please a tick in "No notifications".

Cheers :D

5. noduser

But how could it even get added if the kernel was closed?

6. Blackspear

Re: The NOD32 virus scan message gets added to incoming e-mails even though it's disa

I don't know.

Have you tried what I suggested?

7. noduser

Thanks, but I'm actually not concerned about the NOD message. I'm curious about how the message is getting there even though NOD's shut down. :)

:ninja:

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe it's added right at the mail server?

9. GAN

GAN Registered Member

And how exactly did you shut down nod? To quit the control panel does not mean that nod is deactivated in any way.
    If you check IMON and EMON and see that the scanned field increase when you receive/read a mail then it's still active. When disabled it shouldn't increase and the icon on the left side of IMON should be red instead of blue. I did a test on my computer and when IMON and EMON is deactivated i do not get any notification in outlook or using another pop3 mail client. As soon as i enabled IMON and EMON the footer is added again for new mail that i received and also for already received mail as soon as i read them. Unless it's added at the mail server as Marcos suggested you must be doing something wrong when you try to disable nod32.

10. noduser

I literally shut it down from the Task Manager.

Edit: If you end nod32krn.exe it seems to pop up again. It's strange, though, because I tried to end it like 9 times and it didn't budge but then it finally disappeared for about a second...

So the problem, as was pointed out, is that IMOn was adding the footer, not EMON, and the reason it was added even after the kernel was closed was because the kernel didn't actually close.

But it's weird because sometimes when I try to close the kernel I get a "operation is not vaild for this process message", sometimes nothing happens, and sometimes it disappears temporarily.

In any case: the kernel refuses to close--is that normal? If it is normal: why is it like that?

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's for security reasons. I wonder who would like to have any security application terminable.

12. Blackspear

That's what I thought, I was wondering how you shut down the kernal.

13. noduser

:) . . . . .

14. steveg

steveg Registered Member

I am a new user to NOD32 - currently using the 30 day trial, but seriously considering, buying the full version - I also use Outlook 2003 as my mail client.

I have to admit that I hate and detest the fact that NOD32 adds an anti virus "footer" to both my incoming and outgoing emails. Is there a way to switch off this messaging? This is a deal breaker for me - Unless Eset want to pay me for advertising their product with each and every email I send or receive, I wish to have my security products, in fact any products invisible to others unless I chose differently.

Can anyone help me and tell me how to stop the message?

many thanks

Steve

15. Blackspear

Hi steveg, welcome to Wilders.

EMON> Setup> Notifications> adjust these settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.