The new Zone Alarm 6

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cheater87, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Re: Zone Alarm 6 & Spyware Blaster

does the new zone alarm cost money??

2. RoksVempire

RoksVempire Registered Member

3. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

The free ZA 6 does not include the antispyware function. It is just the firewall (works well on my system).

4. www

www Guest

I purchased Zone Alarm Security Suite a while back before I read the reviews on it and their anti-spyware program is missing a lot of spyware. I have been using it along side of Counterspy. Security Suite is a big waste of money.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The above posts split off from Spywareblaster forum into a thread of their own....in a more appropriate forum.

6. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Unfortuntely the free version of ZA 6 does not use the new triple firewall. It is this new triple firewall that has brought me back to consider using ZoneAlarm again - well I'm currently testing it with a view to using it on all my main PCs.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's what I expected from ZoneAlarm Security Suite and any other suite.
    They all have lesser good parts. Specialized separate software are always better.
    That's why I use ZoneAlarm Free and what ZoneAlarm Suite does extra can be replaced by other softwares.

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Only ZoneAlarm Pro and ZoneAlarm Suite have the new OSFirewall/SmartDefense (Intrusion Protection System). Similar to ProcessGuard/RegDefend, Safe 'N' Secure and Online Armor type of protection.

Rich

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK. But does that change anything. You can use ProcessGuard/RegDefend as an alternative.
    Maybe ZoneAlarm Suite is probably the best suite on the market now because of the OSFirewall/SmartDefense.

IMO suites are just a trend and of course every security company has to create its own suite to compete with the other companies.
    ZoneLabs improved indeed their Firewall, because they are very good in that part, but it's hard for me to believe that ZoneLabs suddenly becomes THE expert in viruses and spywares as well.

10. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I'm only interested in ZA 6 Pro for it's new OS firewall. I'm using the anti-spyware as it is available in the product and there doesn't seem to be any overhead for doing so (switching it off makes little or no difference to the resource usage). But I don't rely on it, I will still use spywareblaster, Spybot and Adaware for my my main antispyware defense/scans. But it is a handy extra layer.

I wouldn't bother with the suite as I have an anti-virus app that I am very happy with and have already paid for but for me so far ZA pro is looking very good.

11. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Rich - I have a setup similar to yours. Has there been any conflict between ZA Pro 6 and ProcessGuard/WormGuard/RegDefend? I had ZA Pro 5.5, but currently running Outpost 2.7 (trial) due to an update problem going to ZA Pro 6.

12. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I have not installed ZA Pro 6 yet. Since I have PG/WG/RD, as you have, as well as Ewido, the incremental security gain by installing ZA Pro at this time is almost negligible - though there are some areas that ZA Pro is protecting that our configuration currently does not protect.

Because of the substantial overlap, and limited incremental gains, I have decided to wait at least one, but probably two or three releases before installing ZA Pro 6, to allow it to settle in. There will almost certainly be lots of "tweaks" to the product (especially in the OSFirewall code) in response to customer feedback.

I think one or two customers who have PG have responded to me that so far they have not seen any conflicts. But it is still very early, and comments have been extremely limited.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

P.S. Here is a thread to watch

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=90255

13. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks Rich - I am currently using Outpost and if ZA Tech. Support can't solve my problem with installing ZA Pro 6 I will probably stay with Outpost.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Anybody using the pro version with BOClean running real time?

15. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I finally took the plunge into the world of realtime AT last night and purchased BOClean and installed it on my test partition which I'm running ZAP 6 (and ProcessGuard Free). I only had time to play around for half hour or so but I didn't come across any obvious problems - mind you I need to learn what configurations I should use for BOClean :D .

I'll keep an eye on it as this is the first time I've ever bought software without trialling it first and if there are probs running alongside ZA, my current train of thought so far is I'd rather ditch BOClean and get a refund rather than ditch the new ZA !! We'll see how it goes

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Btw, ZA Pro sometimes misses certain activity, very strange, and I also think that now it has become an IPS, the GUI is a bit unhandy now, I think network access and system access should be separated. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.