The new clearsight free antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by simisg, Jan 18, 2016.

1. solitarios

solitarios Registered Member

2. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

How did it do back then?

3. imuade

imuade Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  4. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

6. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Appears they do have a trial also.

7. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I'll pass :thumbd:

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There is a trial of the paid version. The free version now includes realtime protection.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Can it be run on-demand only (as opposed to real-time)? Does anyone know?

10. roger_m

It just installed it. It took ten minutes to perform the initial update. The user interface looks nice, but is very basic. As expected, it's using Sophos definitions. I'm running a Quick Scan now (which doesn't seem to be so quick) and will post again when I've done some more testing.
    No it can't. You can't access the settings in the free version (and there's no options when you right click the tray icon), so you can't configure it at all.

Edit: You can turn realtime protection off, but I don't think Cleaersight has been designed to work alongside other antiviruses. In the past, the free version did not have realtime protection.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  11. imuade

imuade Registered Member

Is it cloud-based or does it download the signature on your computer?

12. roger_m

As with previous versions, it downloads the signatures.

The Quick Scan eventually completed. It took 90 minutes or so to finish, which is quite slow. But I am testing it on a fairly slow computer.

CS.png
    This is the main program window. Clicking on the shield icon, toggles realtime protection on and off. The Account window informs me that my license has expired. I guess that is because I'm running the free version, as I have activated my free license.

CS 4.png

CS 2.png
    All threats are automatically quarantined. But as you can see, there is the option to restore and whitelist files you want to keep, and don't want detected again, which is nice to see.

CS 3.png

CS 4.png

CS 5.png

It has some bugs. The removable device scan did not work. It showed a scan window, but the scan did not start. I then tried scanning a folder on the device via a custom scan, and also in Windows Explorer from the context menu, which also both did not work. However, after a rebooting, I was able to run a custom scan. However, once the scan completed, the scan results window showed that 4 threats had been detected, but did not actually list the files. It turns out that nothing was actually quarantined or deleted.

When I download the EICAR file, it was immediately quarantined.

So far it looks quite promising. There are serious bugs which need to be fixed. Also, the scan speed is too slow for my liking, and CPU use is high when scanning. However, I am testing this on a slow laptop, and perhaps, scan times and CPU would be more acceptable when used on a faster computer.

13. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I clicked on the download trial , got the fill out form. I did this yesterday right after I posted and never did the instructions in email for the download.
    Roger, did you get instructions in email or can the free version be downloaded right away?

14. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Have to be honest, your definition of "promising" is a lot different than mine.

15. roger_m

Try it again, I got an email right away with the download link and product key.

16. roger_m

Well obviously there are bugs which need to be fixed. But having the ability to easily whitelist files, makes it a lot better than many other antiviruses in my opinion.

17. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Still. There's a WHOLE LOT of downsides in your mini review. Enough where there's plenty of other products around I'd take over this thing. It gets lumped into the "why bother?" stack, IMHO.

18. csantivirus

csantivirus Registered Member

Hi All, we have been trying to replicate this usb problem on everything from xp to Server 2016 but haven't been able to so far.

I know you mention that 90 minute initial scan is a long time but how much data was on the laptop and what was the spec please? I can run a scan on my i7 in under 15 mins.

If you can provide any data logs or such we will test and if there is a bug (which we haven't seen) then we will fix it.

I appreciate you looking at our product and highlighting any possible issues, however more specific background on your testing would help, rather than not give us a chance we would appreciate your help identifying any faults with evidence to enable us to fix them - if they exist. We don't hide like other vendors and will always interact with you guys, and im not afraid to hold my hand up if we do discover any issue and get them fixed.

As I said until now nobody has reported the usb issue or the vanishing alerts. 1/80,000 isn't bad odds :)

thanks again guys.

CEO- CSantivirus.com

19. Oximoronman

Oximoronman Registered Member

Hello,
    it would be nice to have offline installer with database included!

20. csantivirus

Let me see what I can do, may take a few days but i`ll check.

21. roger_m

It has a Core 2 Duo U7700 CPU, 3GB of RAM and is running Windows 8.1, and had very little on the hard drive. The laptop runs extremely slowly. I am going to test CS again on a faster computer.

22. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Please update the free version so it'll detect and remove threats from removable storage. It doesn't have to be automatic; prompt to remove and the prompt window has an ad to buy the premium version. :)

It just doesn't make sense for an antivirus not to clean threats from removable storage, since that's one of the most common threat entry points.

23. roger_m

@csantivirus I installed CS again on the same laptop. The laptop is running Windows 7, as Windows 8.1 was running a bit slowly. Once again, the quick scan took some time, but it was faster. I did another removable device scan, and this it ran. It detected four items, but showed none of them. I checked the log file, and detected files are shown as follows:
    Code:
    25/03/2017 6:25:00 PM: I| E:\PUP\driverhivetrialsetup.exe on a removable drive. Free version can only detect it
    The free version of CS is unable to remove threats from removable drives. I copied the files from the flash drive to my hard drive, and then scanned them and CS did list and quarantine the files as it should.

I then copied actual malware to the flash drive, and then did another scan. Even though malware was detected this time, none of the detected files was shown or quarantined. I had realtime protection disabled when I coped the files to the hard drive. When I opened the folder coanting the malware on the flash drive with realtime protection enabled this time, I got the following alert:

CS.png

My flash drive is not read only, but becuase it is a removable device, CS can't remove the threats found. I find it strange that you did not even know that your own product has this serious limitation.

That statement is quite ridiculous. Are you saying that everyone of those 80,000 users has run the removable device scan?

Also, I rebooted Windows, and when Windows loaded again the UtilTool Net Filter Service crashed.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  24. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Thanks for testing roger_m, you saved me the time and bother.:thumb:

Regards Eck:)

25. csantivirus

Hello guys,

Based on your feedback we have enabled scan and remove threats on USB on the Free version. It was disabled previously due to prompting users to upgrade to paid version.

So I hope you see we do listen and do make changes if they are viable.

thanks again for your feedback its very valuable to us.

Kind Regards

James
    Clearsight AV

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.