The new ClamWin - any good?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Gullible Jones, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was browsing Filehippo earlier when I noticed there was (finally) a new release of ClamWin. Now I'm going to be blunt, ClamWin has been absolutely terrible for a long time. But IIRC ClamWin is now owned by Sourcefire, the makers of Snort, and a new version has been in development for a while... does anyone know how this version compares to the other free AVs?

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

ClamWin is not owned by Sourcefire but ClamAV is owned by sourcefire. If I remember correctly there heuristic scanner was suppose to be added the ClamWin soon but I have not looked recently on when the goal release date was.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'll never use ClamWin just because it doesn't have a real-time scanning. Antiviruses without it were fine 10 or 15 years ago, but one without it today is just worthless.

Besides, what's up with ClamWin and Immunet Protect? Weren't they suppose to cooperate in some way?

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah but cant remember what version number they said it would be.

5. iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET Registered Member

I believe we are discussing two completely different products. There is the ClamAV that presently seems to be the same as Immunet. Then, we have the original ClamAV that is not the cloud type anti-virus.

6. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Correct. There is ClamWin which independent from ClamAV and they provide ported versions to Windows.

Afaik current ClamAV for Windows is the Immunet cloud thing.

7. progress

progress Guest

Does the latest version have a real-time scanning guard? :doubt:

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

No, never had one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.