the new AVG8 Free: useless & broken

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by _ab, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hi,

anyone knows, what the hell is this?

avgok8.png

"You are not protected. check the following components"

aha! & the components, of course, cannot be turned on, so i installed a completely worthless antivirus? Aren´t those guys supposed to test their software, before putting it out? It´s updated, of course. I know, this is free software, but i can´t understand why everybody here is so euphoric about this obviously bad version. Even if it´s free, the least thing to expect from a software, that it does WORK.

2. jdenton

jdenton Registered Member

Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for many other people out there. Getting angry won't solve your problem.

One possible reason I can think of your problem is your system clock - make sure it's set to the correct time. You can also ask for help at the official forum at http://free.grisoft.com/ww.forum, though please do so in a more mature manner than you have done so here, since most of the staff there are unpaid volunteers.

3. _ab

_ab Registered Member

well, basically i said, a newly installed program does not work for no obvious reason. I can´t see, what there is so immature about this. Something like this should not happen!

I have my clock set every 30 minutes by NTP, so i see no way to change the time here in order to get some AV to work.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

working great here and for many others,perhaps you may have a corrupted download. I would suggest you unistall and remove any left over remains in the registry,Do you have any remains left behind from another product or possiable conflics with other apps on your pc? either way clean left behind registry's give it another try.what works for but not for all .regards

5. jdenton

jdenton Registered Member

If you have a problem, then what you need to do is provide as much information about your problem, and do so as clearly as possible. People can't help you solve your problem if they have no information to go by. And like I said, getting angry only discourages and turns off any potential knowledgeable people who might otherwise have helped you. :thumb:

6. _ab

_ab Registered Member

yeah, thank you folks. I had to reinstall it, since even a scan wasn´t working anymore. I see something like this very rarely. My system here is very cleaned up, so i don´t consider this as a possible reason.

Naturally it´s annoying to have to reinstall software, just after the next reboot. I deinstalled it, ran a registry cleaner over it, & now let´s see, if the error returns. If so, i will have to install AVG7.5 again.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

From the screen, it appears that there is no update database version associated with the program. You either have a bad install or the update of the program did not work. Even with the very first use of a new program, a database file version automatically is part of the package. If it is several days old, you usually get a prompt to update it. But for all of the AV programs that I have come across, none have turned off themselves just because they are outdated. If that is how that program acts when the files are out of date, then I think I will avoid it. :doubt:

8. Harbinger

Harbinger Registered Member

Heres the scoop according to Grisoft.
    If you have a FAT32 formatted drive and not NTFS then AVG8 doesn't work....

If you look at the AVG8 Free forum you will find a lot of pissed off people
    who can't figure out why they would release a new program that won't work
    on half the PCs in the nation.......

My experiance with 8.0

Besides the problem you displayed.
    Made my computer reboot at total random times.
    Won't scan at all.
    Deleted 9 years worth of emails.

I uninstalled 8.0 and reinstalled 7.5 but the PC Rebooting problem stayed...
    So I guess I'll wipe the drive and spend 8 hours re installing everything...
    The only thing I can say about AVG 8.0 is RUN Forrest RUN

The really bad part about AV programs is that even if you pay for one
    you still get some monster CPU/Memory hog that slows your PC to a crawl.
    I've tried both Norton and McCafee. they both suck swampwater.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

actually the 2008 version of Norton runs very light. the items in screen shot are the only ones running in taskmanager. Looks pretty light to me, not a resource hog at all.
    5,308k and 992k and 300k

Attached Files:

10. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

Well could be but maybe a leftover of a previous av or corruption.
    Mine running good here last while.
    And I gotta admit I hated the new version at first..so

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

stick with avg 7.5 no rush.

12. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

AVG's a messy uninstaller. Nex time you uninstall AVG use Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner Registry Cleaner, so maybe you can remove all the entries,

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Actually, I never had problem uninstalling AVG - or any other anti-virus for that matter. I guess it comes down to how much stuff users install and tweak.
    Mrk

14. emperordarius

It leaves a lot of registry leftovers.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Not really in my experience....But I haven't yet uninstalled the product on Vista, let me see when I do need to uninstall it :)

16. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

What is the effect of registry leftovers? Does it actually cause any errors?

17. emperordarius

May cause some errors when installing other antiviruses. For instance, Kaspersky won't install if there are registry leftovers.

18. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've installed it many times with ZERO issues...many others here have also I'm sure. So instead of blaming the product..why not look at what's wrong with YOUR SYSTEM instead of the product. Begin the troubleshooting there.

19. PierreF

PierreF Registered Member

I saw the same like Ab did in his first post after the second installation of AVG without the linkscanner. Updating AVG was enough to get fully protected by AVG 8.

20. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

On leftover registry issues, like most AV's, AVG leaves behind legacy entries that can only be removed after permission changes in regedit (Windows XP). It's a whole other ballgame with Vista. I don't believe you can delete legacy drivers in Vista without a chainsaw or reformat. I've found that "extra" registry entries have little effect on the operation, if there are no conflicts, of the OS but might be a privacy concern if they cannot be deleted.

SourMilk out

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Tested it on Vista. AVG 8 leaves a few registry entries after uninstallation but every registry entry has absolutely no value, i.e. the entry is there but it has no effect whatsoever since not having a value makes it non-functional.

The legacy drivers may remain on the hard disk but are not loaded during startup after uninstallation - hence there is no effect at all on the OS operation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.