The Need for Speed

Discussion in 'hardware' started by WilliamP, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I built a system AsRock P76 Extreme4 Gen3 I7-2700 overclocked to 4.7. When idling it runs 1.6. Now my wife plays Farmville on Facebook and she says it is slow. Does the fact that it idles down that far,slow her farming?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Well, from one William P to another :D, I gotta say no, it shouldn't because when she's on-line farming, your computer is not at idle. What are the clock speeds when she's playing?

Farmville runs in your browser's Adobe Flashplayer add-on. I would completely remove Flashplayer with the FlashPlayer Uninstaller then reinstall FlashPlayer.

BTW - your 4.7GHz is impressive, but not if your temps are not under control. And not just the CPU's, but all the devices on the motherboard trying to keep up - often a greater challenge if an aftermarket cooler is used that is not orientated the same as the expected OEM cooler. I hope your case cooling is pumping a lot of air through the case. And I hope you have a good backup and recovery program in place - especially if this machine is used for work, school, or important personal business.

I generally recommend overclocking, especially extreme overclocking as you achieved here, be done on a second, "expendable" computer only. And by expendable, that means if it goes, it won't ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ the wife! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  3. WilliamP

Thanks for the reply. I have a Turniq 120 Tower cooler for the CPU. The Max temp on CPUID running Prime95 is 72c . Idling is in the low 30's

4. Bill_Bright

Well, 72°C scares me. If it only happens during stress testing with Prime95, then that is fine. But I personally start to get nervous when CPUs touch and remain at 60°C.

I ask again, what are the clock speeds when she's playing?

Did you uninstall and reinstall Flash?

5. WilliamP

I apologize for my slow response. I'm not sure what the clock speed is when she is playing. The 72 c is only on Prime95. When she is playing 45 c is the highest. I did uninstall flash player and installed an older version. As it turns out they are having a lot of problems with the latest version flash with the latest FF.

6. Bill_Bright

Nothing to apologize. Everyone has other obligations. We are talking hours here. Days are not uncommon - especially over weekends.

Yeah, that's very good.

Yeah, I have seen the recent Flash and FF problems too. So is hers still acting up? Has she tried a different browser? It seems to work fine with IE9.

7. WilliamP

My wife loves Farmville and FF is faster, so she says. Flash hasn't crashed since I downloaded the older version.

8. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

9. WilliamP

I don't think I want to try another browser. Right now it looks as though the older flash is playing nice with FF.

10. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

At least trying another browser would help narrow down the cause of your problem.

If it doesn't work well in Opera, then you've got another problem - unless you're saying that it now works perfectly with Firefox and an older version of Flash?

11. Bill_Bright

I agree. You don't have to make it the default. But it is always good to have a second browser for testing purposes. I recommend IE9, not because I like it, but because it comes with Windows.

I use IE9 as my default, but I have both Chrome and FF on my system too. If a page does not display right in IE, I will try the others.

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Strike me Pink! Billy Boy :blink: 72c are you trying to cook eggs on your computer or what? What I think you should do is firstly take a look at what the bottleneck of your system is, and determine whats running to cause such a high teperature, whatever is using around 80% of system resources that is, and secondly I would seriously take a look at your cooler to see if it's actually installed properly, the Idle temp sounds about right, generally 28-32c is normal. Also try some new Thermal Compound too ;) Secondly after looking at your original post you say i7-2600, however this model is not an overclocking model, for that you need the 2600K

13. WilliamP

The CPU is actually an I 7 2700K. And during normal use it runs at about 45 c max. 72c was on prime 95

14. Bill_Bright

Hmmm, not sure you are following. Note,
    As noted before, 72° scares me too, but 72° is not excessive for the i7 - not when that temp was reached only when intentionally stressed by a benchmarking program designed to max-out the computer to determine the "extremes". If 72° is the extreme - a level never likely to be reached in "real world" use - then I see no reason to panic - especially if the norms are well below 60°C, as they are here.

No. Those are well below average. But congrats to you for those "excellent" temps - assuming your ambient is "normal" (for humans). But the average is closer to 45 - 55° and up to 60° is fine, as long as it does not sit above that. And remember, ambient (room) temperature has a direct affect on the temperatures of your hardware. And not everyone has AC.

I am not in favor of changing out the TIM (thermal interface material) just to change it. As long as the cured bond between the mating surfaces has not been broken, then the existing TIM is just fine - even if it is the plain ol' OEM thermal pad. TIM does not go old or wear out. It does not dry out, unless designed to do so. It will easily outlast the bearing on the fan, as long as the cured bond is not broken.

So, unless the computer has been bounced, or you intentionally pulled the HSF for some reason, your TIM should be fine.

If the 4 - 5° you get out of a better TIM is that critical to your cooling, then your case cooling is not sufficient. Remember the CPU cooler only needs to toss the heat up into the tower's inner chamber. It is the case's responsibility to provide enough front-to-back air flow through the chamber and out the case.

And it is the owner's responsibility to ensure the case has enough fan support to provide the desired front-to block flow. If you are not doing any "extreme" overclocking, and the interior is clean of heat trapping dust, then the OEM cooler is fully capable of keeping the CPU within it normal operating range. It was specifically designed for that CPU line.

Ummm, from the original post,

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

And those are actually good temps for what you are doing. You can take that CPU to 95c before you need to be seriously concerned.

16. Bill_Bright

I was going to say that but got confused with the CPU's 95W TDP spec.

But I agree, today's CPUs can get pretty toasty before stability issues arise. Still I don't recommend running it that hot for any length of time. While the CPU has thermal protection to prevent any permanent damage, the socket and motherboard underneath do not. Excessive heat for long periods of time increase aging dramatically, and can result in micro-stress fractures. Think of highways buckling, and SUVs going flying.

17. WilliamP

I believe that her problem was Flash Player in FF. We had the latest version of Flash and the latest of FF. I found out they were having a lot of problems. It was recommended that I uninstall Flash and download an earlier version. Now she doesn't have the problems. And if momma isn't happy, nobody is happy.

18. Bill_Bright

I hear you there. Glad it seems to be resolved.

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Point of Fact: 2600/2700 (locked) No overclocking) 2600K /2700K (Unlocked overclockers model) I read it right the first time B.B :cautious:

20. Bill_Bright

No. Sorry, but I don't think so.

"Point of Fact:" In WilliamP's opening post, he clearly said he has a "2700" overclocked to 4.7GHz.

In your post #12, you said, i7-"2600".

A 2600 is not a 2700, so your statement does not apply. Whether it is a K model or not has nothing to do with this thread. So you may have read it right, you did not respond right - and that is what I was pointing out. You can keep talking about the 2600, but he does not have one, so it seems pointless to me.

Now if you are suggesting WilliamP is providing false information by suggesting his CPU cannot possibly be running at 4.7GHz, then that is a different issue - and not between me and you.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic post removed. Please report problems in threads to a moderator or administrator.

22. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

You could just as well grow real vegetables with such a strong CPU underneath.

23. WilliamP

Momma always said eat your vegetables.

24. STONEMAN

STONEMAN Registered Member

@ Williamp this is a good helpful forum, may help you out in the future
    covers a lot of topics mainly hardware related just incase you need a few more options
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.