The mystery that is Beta 1b

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by vapor, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vapor

vapor Registered Member

I updated to 1b from 1a about 8-9 days ago. The install went fine, but after re-booting I had 2 instances of ESS 1b running simultaneously. ESET contacted me and had me do several things, none of which really helped. I had to 'un-tick' one of the instances through msconfig to make only one run. Seems the update left 2 start-up items in my OS. Now for 2 other issues with 1b:

1) With 1a when I ran a manual scan it stopped any time it found something waiting for input. I was spending 4-5 hours on weekly scans because I had to keep checking my machine to see if the scan was still running or waiting on me. One of the moderators here advised to run a 'custom scan' and tick the "scan without cleaning" box - stating it would ask at the end of the scan what I wanted to do with any suspicious files. That worked fine in 1a as well as I can remember.

With 1b, I've run 2 custom scans with the "scan without cleaning" box ticked. Each scan advised no suspicious files found at the end. Today I was looking at my log file and it said there were 6 infected files last week and 1 today. Huh? I don't know what to make of this. Are they still on my machine - are they gone. Why less this week than last. And why was there no mention after the scan? Do I need to rescan with cleaning?

2) When running my scan today I sent it to the background. In 1a you could bring it back up and check progress. With 1b the link to bring it back to the foreground is gone. After about 3 hours, and it saying it was still running, I noticed there was no hard drive activity. ESS was pulling 100% cpu, but nothing was happening. I re-booted and started a new scan which I left running in the foreground that took 2 hrs 40 mins. ESS still shows the original stalled scan as "in progress" undre log files, even though it isn't (confirmed through task manager). I don't know why 1b stalled when I sent the scan to the background - but ESET seems to have made some change(s) since you can no longer call it back up.

The good news is that 1b is no longer crashing GoBack - go figure.

I would like some help / suggestions regarding issue 1. Thanks.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Open ESS and perform "Automatic cleaning" (sorry for the screenshot , it is from beta1 :))
    http://i.data.bg/07/04/07/315302_orig.jpg

This way it will automatically deal with infections and will ask only if there are suspicious files found (via heuristics) .

You can also check your settings in the Advanced setup tree , concentrate on the Cleaning level:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=985054&postcount=3

3. vapor

vapor Registered Member

Done that and scans still show 1 object infected under "on demand" log files...

Actually after scan w/ cleaning it shows one infected object and 0 files cleaned. The log shows it's pointing to an old Outlook express deleted object - I haven't used Outlook express for several years.

I'm not concerned, just think this is a bit confusing and something ESET should think about changing before they finalize ESS.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This is because it is in mail format . ESS and NOD32 can't delete it because you may lose all your emails . You need to:
    - Check the logs of ESS and find the title of the email
    - Open Outlook Express
    - Manually navigate to the email
    - Manually delete it

5. Ven

Ven Registered Member

I had a simular experience.

Started an automatic scan. And after approx. 4 hours 86% of my computer was scanned. It seemed that the scan proces had stopped. Everything on the computer was blocked. The only thing I could do was restart the computer.

After rebooting I started a new automatic scan. This time the scan process went OK within the hour!:cautious:

I will follow your suggestion to take a look at the log files. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.