the most effective privacy software?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by guest, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markoman

markoman Registered Member

Please, if anybody finds somebody ale to recover data that has been overwritten once, please let me know.
    Cause I am sure nobody will find one.

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Ok, this is becoming a bit annoying. It seems you dislike most of the things people say here, just because they aren't experts in forensics/encryption/etc. Nobody forces you to belive anyone's theories, they are just opinions based on someone experience or on what they read, or even on their thoughts on a subject. It is rude to belittle everyone just because you think they aren't experts in a certain area.

In that particular case, feds used a keylogger, so it doesn't matter what form of encryption was the guy using. But here is some food for thought: what if the guy was PROPERLY erasing the incriminating data with Eraser or a similar program, instead of using full HDD encryption? Would it be easier or harder for feds to access the evidence on his computer ?

3. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I'm sorry if you feel this way ->:)'()<- ....... :D but it is just another theory, I have every right to disagree with someones theory, I'm not aware of any rule on this forum which states it is wrong to disagree with someone, and reply with the reason I do!

I didn't say it mattered what kind of Encryption you use? I use PGP WDE myself, I did say that bitlocker has a Backdoor
    though!

And I didn't say use an Eraser "instead" of Encryption, I said use an Eraser "with" WD Encryption!

I see you didn't get it, I'm not telling people not to use Encryption, I'm saying people should still use Privacy software such as Eraser if their using WD Encryption, If they find a way around your encryption and use a recovery software they will have all of your confidential Data that you deleted because you didn't take the time to Erase it!

Just think about it for awile,

Yes I disagree and yes I have every right to disagree, I'm not Flaming people, I'm not telling them their dumb, I'm just disagreeing with them! I don't know where you live but i live in America, and I'm pretty sure this forum is based in a country that is based on Democracy, and theirs this thing called freedom of speech, you know the thing that gives you the right to disagree, I wouldn't be here if this forum had a rule which states we aren't allowed to disagree with people!

I was under the impression that he copy and pasted that from somewhere on the net, if he did write the entire thing by himself than, mabee I shouldn't have thrown in the part

So I edited that part out of my former post!

I'm just a straight forward person, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, I'm just pointing out that just because you Encrypted your HD doesn't mean you shouldn't use Privacy software, and that it doesn't defeat the purpose of using WD Encryption, because in reality it adds extra security just in case an attacker does get a hold of your keys!

...................................................................................................

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  4. arran

arran Registered Member

My question is seen how the hard disk was encrypted so there for they wouldn't have been able to start windows, So how did they install the key logger??

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Installing a keylogger usually involves exploiting a remote OS vulnerability or sending an email with malicious payload (I don't know how they did it in that particular case).

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The case he's talking about is the Scarfo crime family case and it's the most well known case of the FBI's use of keyloggers. It was not PGP's whole drive encryption. PGP didn't even offer such a product at the time. The target was one single file - an email attachment that was encrypted using PGP. The FBI installed a hardware keylogger and a software keylogger. It wasn't known until years later that the software keylogger was Spector. The hardware keylogger was also later revealed to be an off the shelf keylogger purchased by the FBI at a "Spy Shop" in New York City. But again, this was one single encrypted file.

edit - Not sure who warlockz was referring to about figuring some post was "copy and pasted from somewhere on the Internet." But if it was me, just so you know, I write my own posts and have been following security and privacy since 1997 or so. You won't catch me copy and pasting unless it's a direct quote and I make it known as such.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I have not seen Darik's Boot and Nuke mentioned - DBan

http://www.dban.org/about

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Not sure that is true. See blog post from a bit locker developer. From computer world

Regarding precedents

Like I said before, these cases all involve issues of fact. No law against using EE, but having EE suggests that you may have something hide.

9. LockBox

Exactly. As crazy it it sounds, the name alone is damning. It is somewhat hard for people to believe that, but it's the truth. As I've said before -- the cops, prosecutors, judges and a juries are all just people. They see "Evidence Eliminator" and more often than not, sometimes rightly (sometimes out of ignorance) find guilt in people, who had they used something without such a hot potato name, would have possibly been treated differently.

10. LockBox

Call me dense but are you arguing for or against the use of Evidence Eliminator? It seemed your first posts were pretty high on EE and now I'm not so sure. I agree with this post completely. I think it's crazy to have software with this name (Evidence Eliminator) on your computer. Could you clarify your own position?

11. LockBox

Then what's the point? Should we all pick out a few pieces of software and post everything pro and con about it? This thread is already 130+ posts long and much of it dealing with Evidence Eliminator, for what purpose? Should we post every link we find about Norton products, pro and con? If you aren't trying to make a point with all this, I fail to see any purpose. Discussion without a point of reference or a position staked is talking in circles. It's not like this is some new software we've never discussed before.

12. LockBox

It's about going around in circles. If you have no agenda pro/con about EE, why all the links? Are we to link to any and all privacy software pro/con? The thread could end up with 7,000 posts.

Forget it, you really missed my point.

13. LockBox

Siberianwolf,

I...like many others....thought you were defending EE. Then it became unclear, then it thought you were defending it again and then with that last post....oh, Christ!....forget it! I'm just feeding here.....good night.

14. Warlockz

Please Stop Flaming Eachother, and please talk about what this forum is about, "Computer SECURITY!"

Theirs To many "CONTROL FREAKS" AROUND HERE TRYING TO TELL EVERYONE "WHAT THEY CAN OR HOW THEY SHOULD POST" Grow up Already people!

Its ok to disagree about a post as long as we stay on topic, and we are pointing out facts about the security topic, but when people start telling others what they should or shouldn't post when the post is based on the security issue of the post it becomes off topic and its a form of TROLLING and Flamewars get started!

........................................................................................................

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  15. LockBox

Do you, by chance, aspire to the billboard business?

Friend, nobody is telling anybody what to post. Siberianwolf's postings about EE were confusing. I simply asked if he was pro/con EE as it was confusing. When he said neither, it seemed all rather pointless as we could post pros and cons of all kinds of software forever. I used the word "pointless" and maybe it's in the eye of the beholder.

Did you notice the irony of your post? You did exactly what you didn't want going on.

This is just getting weird. I have a feeling that....ahh...I don't think I'm allowed to say what I think is going on here. Have a good evening.

16. Warlockz

Its ok to disagree about a post as long as we stay on topic, and we are pointing out facts about the security topic, but when people start telling others what they should or shouldn't post when the post is based on the security issue of the post it becomes off topic and its a form of TROLLING and Flamewars get started!

I never told you what you can and cant post, I stayed on topic when I disagreed with your post, as I was still talking about the security issue "your theory about the use of privacy software with WDE" I was disagreeing about!

AS Long as we are staying on topic, I don't see why not?

If your Board with the EE Issue than move on, don't tell him to stop posting about EE, mabee their are others that are still carious about the EE issue and would like to read more about it?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  17. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Oh brother. o_O

This is "way out in the weeds" now. Time to bring it to a close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.