The long wait for CentOS 6 ..

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Why is it taking so long ? For those that are looking for reasons here are a few:-

The Long Wait for CentOS 6

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Yeah, I read that article earlier today. I also read this one as well....

http://www.oneopensource.it/03/02/2011/centos-6-interview-with-karanbir-singh

It doesn't look good for those who wish some kind of release time frame for CentOS 6.

Ocky, if you've got the band-width to spare try that SL6 Live CD I've posted about in another thread. They're really nice and very stable. And if you add some additional repos like elrepo, atrpm, epel, and rpmforge then you pretty well can download just about anything you want. They even have VLC 1.1.6. Elrepo has some Ati drivers (regrettably for the older kernel...2.6.32-71.7). I, in the end, downloaded Ati's latest (11.1) and built my own rpms for kernel 2.6.32-71.14. Having an Ati card really sucks under rpm distros. I also installed dkms (from rpmforge) which should take care of any kernel module upgrades. Practically all of them have Nvidia drivers to offer.

Later....

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Trespasser,
    Make no mistake I have read your posts re.SL6 and am impressed with your efforts, contacting Dr. Urs Beyerle, etc. We can all benefit from this.
    I think I will wait with SL6 until out of beta, a few extra weeks of waiting will suit me as I have a lot of less enjoyable things on my plate at the moment. :(

Thanks again and regards. :)

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

still no news on beta 3 then rc release :rolleyes:

i like SL very much when I ........1st used it it give me what fedora lack

is that long term support :D

one question did you guys get yumex in SL
    i had alpha release unable to see that

i wait for beta 3 or rc then check again
    also has any one tried round circle plymouth i seen that in red hat looks pretty attractive :thumb:

5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

On the SL mailing list Troy Dawson announced yesterday evening that there will be no Beta 3 release this week as previously planned...but they are beginning discussions about the RC and Final release.

http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1102&L=scientific-linux-devel&T=0&P=825

I just did a search for you Mack_Guy and yumex is not in the regular SL 6 data base...sorry :'( ....BUT..:D , it is in the epel repos...so congratulations.

On the first Beta 1 version the SL6 team changed the Red Hat plymouth bootup theme (the progressing circle thingy) to an SL 6 one. All they changed was the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 to Scientific Linux 6...the rest is the same (meaning the progressing circle thingy).

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

thanks very much Trespasser

for searching and putting your time and effort for finding yumex,beta 3 and the progressing circle thingy

i wait for some more time for rc or another beta then give another try :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.