The Leaky Vault at Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Escalader, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

The fact that you get warnings when visiting sites using test id's and pins seems to me to be correct behavior but maybe I don't understand your expectations. Vault actual doesn't store your info just a mathematical representation of it. It then is supposed to check the hash total of information leaving for a site or via email and warn you. Seems to me it did just that. Did you click deny? Did it send it anyway? Do you have a log of what was actually sent after deny?

The saga of the ZA vault is long and complex so if you want a little mis-understanding look at this forum's posts as far back as last summer. I have been contributing here on this subject for quite a while.

I don't use the ZA suite so when I comment from a base of ZA Pro 7 only I may be "out-of line again".

But I would bet that the ZA vault works exactly the same way in Pro as it does in the suite.

What follows now is IMHO.

I have concluded that putting information in the vault does no harm, it is just labour intensive. If you reinstall the software the vault disappears and you would have to re-enter it. More work.

Your test is yet another example in a long series of possible leaks.

My conclusion yet to be proven wrong by anybody who works for ZA itself is:

DO NOT RELY ON THE VAULT, IT LEAKS INFORMATION. IT ALSO GIVES USERS (you and others) A FALSE SENSE OF SAFETY!

The problem now is I may be banned from ZA user forum for saying an opinion. It has happened to others.

I am on other forums if you need my and other views just Google on Escalader and there I am. I will post this elsewhere in case that happens.

Good luck to you.

2. Escalader

Can my post here be removed, there are no replies so it is of little interest!

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Not every thread gets a reply, and we generally don't remove them because of that. Sometimes people read and absorb something without replying. Sometimes its actually not of interest. Sometimes replies come late. Don't worry about it. We'll leave it and what will be will be. ;)

4. Escalader

Hi Low:

Okay, with me.

Maybe this is why ZA is mad at me! All they need do is show / prove that it doesn't leak!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.