the last time you encountered malware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Antimalware18, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Even if not pure HIPS, I believe most of these products allows custom installs or at least disabling components.

2. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

by these you mean only this (safensoft) or you have more HIPS in stock?

and there's no custom install in this HIPS

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I don't count an AV detecting a suspicious file and blocking it. The last time I had an actual infection was a boot sector virus on a Windows 98 computer. I've done a few deliberate infections on test machines with Xp--that was about 8 years ago. A few years ago, I took a trip to Mexico and was amused by the amount of infections in the machines at a local internet cafe. Needless to say, I didn't log onto anything during that trip. The next time I went, I brought my own laptop.

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

A few months ago I was downloading a torrent from a image site that was closing and one of the torrents someone put java malware in it. (Site was always clean not sure who added the malware to the torrent).

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What stopped it?

6. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Almost through a phone call, saying they were MS tech support.
    Calling at 8:00 PM last night, wanting to try to fix the problem through "remote assistance", nobody at this address called MS.
    After looking up the number (347-480-2300) many complaints about how they want to steal all your data through "remote assistance".
    I hope the mods wont erase the number.
    Sad that nobody can shut this down.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I mean all the non-pure 64-bit HIPS mentioned so far, don't have more. I remember that you can select which components to install for Comodo, not sure about other ones.

Can't you still disable the anti-virus, although still not as clean as standalone HIPS?

9. Solarlynx

in softensoft there's just no option to avoid their AV and they don't mention what's the AV (i guess ClamAV). and there's an option to have the "realtime" protection disabled . then i guess you'll have disabled resident av - unpleasant ClamAV sleeping in your RAM :cautious: . and an option not to schedule updates for this AV

as for comodo then D+ isn't even mentioned in the install options so you'll have it with FW or AV or even both

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Might've changed in recent versions, but I though you could deselect both FW and AV for Comodo?

11. Solarlynx

I don't remember what it was in earlier versions but starting from 5 there's no way to install D+ only.

if you deselect both FW and AV you'll get Dragon and GeekBuddy :argh:

12. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

The beta version on the top of the list says it has F-Prot, not ClamAV. The free one doesn't have an AV at all. The description implies that it's optimized for use with MSE. I have MSE installed, so I took it for a test drive. It took forever for it to index the executables already on the system. After a reboot, I made it to the desktop, which was completely frozen. Even the MS three-finger salute didn't work. I had to do a hard re-set and restore an image. Not my cup of tea.

13. Solarlynx

thanks for correction

i got the same freezing when tried to run its av though i had it with CIS

14. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

D+ always accompanied FW or AV, never standalone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.