the last time you encountered malware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Antimalware18, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Just like the title says. When was the last time you encountered real in-the-wild malware? Testing not jncluded.

Ill start. My last time was about 5 months ago on a anime site it was a malicious IFrame and avast instamtly blocked it.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I've been meaning to ask something like this as well. Last time was a couple days ago. I was web browsing on my Nexus 7 tablet. I clicked a link, and was redirected to a fake Android AV. It was pretty shocking really.

As far as on a PC, I'm not sure. On rare occasions a website will be blocked, but usually I continue since I have AppGuard, and they end up being false-positives.

My last infection was self-inflicted with a keylogger for a network security course in college, and my last in-the-wild infection was in 2008, and it killed my PC.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

In the 5-6 years i have been using a windows computer i have encountered approximately a dozen malwares in a real world scenario and my chosen security products stopped them.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I remember being redirected to those fake online videos with Flash trojans over a year ago. Easy to close (at least with my Chrome profile), so meh.

5. guest

guest Guest

Last time I got infected? Hmm, don't remember. The only thing I know is I was still on XP back there. I do, however, encounter some suspicious behaviors on some websites. Sometimes I also intentionally download malicious executables, well at least my sources are sure they were truly malicious.

EDIT: Just noticed that testing is not included. Oh my... :D

6. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Did a search on Google for Medicare Advantage plans, one of the results I clicked on was blocker by Avast web filter. Checked it on Virus Total - detected by 24 engines. That was 2 months ago.

7. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

I was infected in 2011. Soon after I started my graduate studies, I was busy with my projects. I had a pretty big design made in Visio in my computer and I was surfing the internet. Something happened and next instant I saw some rouge AV running on my machine. I had McAfee then and all programs that I tried to open never responded because of the rogue. I went mad because I was not able to open my project files too. Later I went to safe mode and disabled the startup of the rogue and deleted it. That was the worst experience I had.

8. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

my.avast.com shows 8 NETWORK Infected blocked in the last year.

The avast Free GUI Component status Your Stats shows 1 virus blocked in the last 30 days.

And there's been maybe a half dozen or so times in I've had to block outbounds to the likes of weird.domain.ru or some unresolvable IP on strange ports above 1025. (In the firewall, browser outbounds are restricted to 80 and 443, all others alert.)

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Oct 13th 2013 While surfing a legit site. by the web protection module of Avira 'HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen2' [virus] was found.
    Action taken: Blocked file

10. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Few weeks ago I got site blocked by my AV. Since I run browser in sandbox that wasn't a big deal.
    Four or five years ago I got semi-infected when I tried to use crack for one game. At that time I have had Malware Defender installed and it started to popup messaages. Malware was trying to put some dlls in autostart, it was trying to connect to internet... Off course I didn't allow any of these to happen and I was able to stop infection before it could get worse.
    Oh I wish there would be some good HIPS for 64 bit.

11. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

for years i never noticed anything suspicious

only a week ago Avast blocked one site

it creates a false sense of malware free environment

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

About 3 years ago. A couple of trojans cause some chaos. Avast couldn't remove. MBAM cleaned them.:)

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Around 7 months ago, the ESET http scanner detected a malicious ad.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts.

15. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

For me MBAM blocked a real world threat about a week ago, but before that my last real one was BONZI BUDDY :D In 2002 or something around then.

16. guest

guest Guest

Uhm... OA's HIPS? Well yeah, it works stronger on 32-bit. But it's running nicely on 64-bit Windows as far as I can tell.

17. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Thanks. Yes I know about OA, CIS and Outpost. But I'm looking for strong classical HIPS and not FW with HIPS.

18. guest

guest Guest

I see. Sadly, we don't have so many options. :(

19. Solarlynx

i fully agree here it's strange that no decent standalone HIPS (like imagine Comodo Defence + alone) in our days when there's a lot of various types of apps

the only close to it is AppGuard but it's not HIPS but mostly restriction security a la "DefenseWall 64-bit" :)

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

21. Solarlynx

Actually it's BB + AE as it follows from their description.

22. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I've never run into any kind of malware myself. But, my latest encounter is my mother-in-law last year who got infected when she downloaded an MP3 file which was named... Song.mp3.exe...

Installed adware but MBAM did its job.

23. Solarlynx

Yeah, I've looked at it so it's not BB+AE. It's really HIPS but bundled with an av and I suspect with ClamAV :eek:. So again it's not clear HIPS.

24. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

2007 was the aim chat hit my daughter on the family pc. Took awhile to get rid of that bad bug, after that more security was added. Never was hit again and have been happy.....:D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I dont remember but i'd say that the ones i find the most are the websites that request you to install crap. (Like when i search for online sports streams . . . LOL)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.