The incremantal backup removed all my backups!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by flekstor, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flekstor

flekstor Registered Member

I had a full backup and a number of incremental backups in the Acronis Secure Zone. I also have a problem with a driver on my PC so I decided to do a new incremental backup (using TI v9.0) and thereafter try to restore my C drive from an older backup.

So I made a new incremental backup and got the message "Operation succeeded. However when I try to restore I get the message "Acronis Security Zone has no backups". I can also see that the free space in the security zone has increased from 4.5GB to 36 GB and the total space is 44.8 GB.

It is quite possible that 4.5GB was too little for the incremental backup but
    1. why did it in that case report operation succeeded
    2. why did it remove all my backups without asking me
    3. why is there only 36 GB free when there are no backups at all
    4. assuming the newest incremental backup really succeeded and that it occupies 9GB (45-36), whats the point of performing an incremental backup if it needs to remove the full backup?

Edit: A full backup typically occupies some 12 GB for me, so there were plenty of space to keep the full backup and perform a new incremental backup. 12 + 9 = 21 GB and I have a secure zone of 44.8 GB. It should also have been possible to keep a number of old incremental backups.

Edit4: Everything has turned out good for me, I have tracked down the application that caused my PC to crash (cfosSpeed) and the info below is not that important but I have experienced a few things that doesn't feel bullet proof. Read if you like. The way TI administrate the secure zone is however imo not acceptable. I really hope you will do something about it.

===================================================================

Edit2: Fortunately I also have an older full backup as an image file and I have now been restoring my C drive from this in order to track down what is causing my crashes. To make a long story short, during these investigations I have diveded my disk into C and D and I perform backups to D (normally I use a secondary disk for backups but not now when I try to figure out what causes my crashes). And an hour ago I tried to restore C by booting from an bootable CD made by TI and with an image file located on D. However, the progress bar stopped at aprox 20% and the time stopped at 16 min left. For more than 15 minutes I didn't here any sound from the hard disk neither and I couldn't cancel the restore (I pressed Cancel and Yes to answer I was sure but it didn't abort). Tried to restore two times after this with the same result and I also tried to verify the image file before restoring and it stopped while verifying. When I now investigate the disk (have connected the disk as a slave and booted from a third disk) it looks like it's damaged. Acronis Directory Suite sais FS: None Partition: 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS) and it's not mounted. I mounted it now and after a reboot everything looks fine again, all the files seems to be there. Will continue by connecting it as master again and try to restore C from the image files on D and I'll see what happens. Yes it turned out to be okey.

Edit3: Have continued with different attemts and the situation right now is that I have a full backup stored as an image file on D. When this disk is used as a slave I have verified the image file with TI and it's okey. But when I connect this disk as master and boot from TI CD and try to restore C using this image file I get the message that it's corrupted. Now I have the disk as slave again and I can plug the image and everything looks okey. I really love TI but I must say I have seen several things that makes me start loosing faith of it.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello flekstor,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that the backups saved to Acronis Secure Zone are deleted automatically if required. Acronis True Image uses the following scheme to clean up Acronis Secure Zone:

- If there is not enough free space in the zone to create a backup, then Acronis True Image deletes the oldest full backup with all subsequent incremental/differential backups;

- If there is only one full backup (with subsequent incremental/differential backups) left and a full backup is in progress, then the old full backup and incremental/differential backups are deleted;

- Otherwise, (only one full backup left, and an incremental/differential backup is in progress) you will get a message about space error. In that case you will have to either re-create the full backup or increase the Acronis Secure Zone.

You can always check how much free space is left in the zone on the second page of the Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at the Product Updates section at our web site.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Acronis Bootable Rescue CD with the latest build and check whether the issue remains.

If the issue remains with the latest build then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. flekstor

flekstor Registered Member

Well in that case it's a bug because I didn't get any message other than that the incremental backup succeeded. I have used 9.0 (build 2,337).

I think TI is a great application, by far the best image app I have seen but I do think that the managment of Secure Zone can be improved quite a lot. Apart from this bug I would appriciate a possibility to be able to manually delete backups but first of all I would like it to work better in auto mode. For example, why delete a full backup and all it's incremental and differential backups if there is only need to delete one or a few of the incremental backups? And if there are several full backups with incremental and differntial backups, perhaps it's better to first delete the inc + diff backups from several full backups before deleteing the oldest full.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello flekstor,

We are sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall build 2337 by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3567.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please let us know if the problem persists with build 3567. We will certainly provide you with the further instructions.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread. They will certainly be considered and probably implemented in the future Acronis True Image versions\builds.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.