The Greatest KDE Distro Ever

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You know, I feel like a sucker for KDE :p , even though I like Gnome and how it performs. I'll probably give this a spin tomorrow.

3. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I tried it out and they are wrong.....

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Of course they're wrong - it's Knoppix!

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Personally, I'd really appreciate some honest suggestions for a real "greatest KDE (4.x) distro ever".

It's always bugged me that know next to nothing about KDE, but the major part of the problem arises from the fact that I've yet to meet a KDE distro I didn't utterly despise. Are there any good ones for me to wean myself onto KDE, or should I just reinstall Kubuntu, sit down and tough it out, and just learn?

6. korben

korben Registered Member

I hate the 'K' before every single name in any release.

from the perspective of a neebie - it's slick, prefer gnome anyways

7. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I think there's far too many what is best this, what is best that threads and opinions regarding linux. There is no one sizes fits all. The options available to you are entirely dependent on what you want and need from your system and how much time and effort you are willing to put in.

KDE is KDE, how appealing it is to you should be based on the distro running underneath it. If you want everything working out of the box with propriety software easily available then look no further than Mint 8 KDE (blows ubuntu and suse out of the water by the way) you won't find better.

If you prefer something less bloated and don't mind a learning curve then try an Arch or Debian netinst and build up. You'll be amazed at how lean and quick KDE can be. I'm running sidux KDE minimal on a spare partition at the moment. Amazingly fast and light but there's a steep learning curve.

The point i'm making is don't rely too heavily on the opinion of others, go and experience it yourself and then make an informed choice.

8. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

After failing to successfully install openSUSE 11.3, I installed the latest version of MINT KDE and it installed without a hiccup.

I'm in the same boat- I know nothing about KDE and I want to learn what the fuss is about.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Beavenburt,

debian net iso and kde isnt hard thou.
    advanced install options,alternate desktop environment,KDE then install.

Im still not sure if i like KDE. I have tryed all version 4 of kde and feel it gets better each release but so far i changed after a day because crashes. I will wait until fedora 13 beta until i try kde 4.4
    atm i prefer Gnome.

10. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

Well, I really prefer Gnome to Kde but if I was going to use Kde I would use Mepis. It is very stable and their newest version will have Kde 4.4.

PcLinuxOS also deserves special mention although it uses Kde 3.5 which, by the way, many Kde users still prefer to ver 4.

I tried them all and I settled on LinuxMint Gnome. Stable, no problems, not a hiccup!

JC

11. quintile

quintile Registered Member

And when all those fail, as they usually do, Knoppix will still be runnin' ...

Ready to fix what's ailin' ya and get cha back up again...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  12. 031

031 Registered Member

Linux Mint 7 gloria (KDE) was almost a perfect distro. Linux mint 8 kde has been released and hope this one is even better. Currently downloading it. Look here. Good luck.

13. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

*Knop da'bom - my no-nutt'in Win friends lowve it!

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hey, I just installed it an hour ago and not too impressed with it; sluggish no matter what I do and can't even use openGL (only Xrender works). At least the nVidia drivers, 185 version, installed. So far the Gnome version is far better for me. Wish you better success than I :)

15. andb

andb Registered Member

The best one (imho) is building your own with arch. You get it just how you want it. I have openSUSE on one laptop though and i agree it is the best one when comparing out-of-the-box KDE distros.

Maybe i am spoiled with arch but i would never ever use mint, talk about bloated with unnecessary software, just like mandriva, i would spend the first hour just removing crap.

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Yes, I agree that one hour would be better spent with Arch downloading and installing what you want...

17. 031

031 Registered Member

:'( :'( :'(
    What about the latest Sabayon ? Anyone using it ? ? ?
    I also liked Opensuse Kde 11.2 but i had problems with vlc. It played media files but there was no sound.
    Kubuntu is not that bad either however mobile broadband is broken in almost every version.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Every time I try Sabayon it looks great on the surface, but I always seem to run into bugs. It's package management seemed really buggy last time I tried it, maybe less than a year ago. I don't know bout the latest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.