The future of malware: Trojan horses

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

One of the basic rules regarding spam-emails is NOT TO OPEN any email-attachment from an unknown source. I don't even open these spam-emails and delete them immediately and automatically after closing Thunderbird.
    Personally, I don't see these "Targeted Trojan Horses" as a serious threat.

Companies better collect all received emails in one place and distribute the real emails from there, done by a knowledgeable employee, while spam-emails are ignored, deleted and not distributed of course.

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Interesting article, ronjor!

Left unsaid is how some organizations have significantly reduced malware attacks.

From the article:

I spoke recently with the Systems Administrator at a local educational institution who shared with me some interesting thoughts.

Hundreds of Office documents are used daily on campus, of course. Tricking the victim is still the most common entry point for malware, he told me. If faculty and staff have effective protocols in place, no one will open an unsolicited Office document (or any such email attachment), and will know ahead of time from the sender that a document is on the way.

Those who read the sans.org bulletins will have heard this message at least as far back as the Sober worms.

This campus does employ AV and SPAM protection on the network for filtering incoming email -- and it is pretty effective -- but does not rely on that as the stopgap. More secure procedures are in place on the workstations.

A roll-back and/or imaging system is a must, the Administrator stressed. (This institution uses Deep Freeze to protect the operating systems/registries.)

In the past year, there have been =zero= infections by malware campus-wide.

regards,

-rich

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Indeed, rollback is a MUST, because the days of the simple malwares are OVER. I use a frozen snapshot as rollback, but there are other ways to do it of course.
    The BBC Honey Pot was restored with rollback, because they couldn't fix it with the classical methods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.