The free virtualizing program choices are mind boggling!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I love and have been using Sandboxie for several months now. I was so impressed with it that I'd used it less than a day and I paid the $25. However, from viewing this forum, I understand many of you use more than one program per session. With Returnil and SafeSpace already free and DefenseWall free today I just can't decide what route to take, if indeed any, relative to another sandboxed environment. Also, there is MS SteadyState final release upcoming the first part of the year.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

I would not miss the opportunity to try DefenseWall on giveawayoftheday

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Since seeing all is been so very well covered on this end for so long, taking on yet another HIPS type app might seem overload, but this DefenseWall is too very well respected, strongly developer supported, and proven formidable by the many time and again without end, so without further ado without thought or reservation i hereby feel i must consign myself to accepting this latest opportunity.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes, defensewall is exceptionally good and very easy for amateurs like me to use. I already have a licensed copy but this free version will go nicely on my other computers. Its the latest version 2.09 too which is awesome!
    I especially like the folder/file protection feature as well! However DW is not really a virtualization app imo.

Some other virtualization apps worth considering are powershadow, altiris software virtualization and virtual machine software like vmware player. virtualbox and virtual pc.

My personal favourite at the moment is altiris. It allows me to easily test software inside a virtual layer, if i don't like it i can easily delete the layer which reverts all changes and doesn't require a reboot.

5. korb

korb Registered Member

DW free license for how long?

6. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Well I've paid for DefenseWall so I am using it despite also paying for Sandboxie.

The benefit of DefenseWall is that it will replace HIPS software such as Threatfire and SSM too as it detects keyloggers etc.

The only problem for me is that DefenseWall is always using 2-6% CPU usage as it appends its status to processes.

Apparently the gaotd version does not include updates :ouch:

I reckon Sandboxie is very similar to DefenseWall and provides a similar level of security but is heaps lighter on system resources. So if you're OK with Sandboxie you don't need DefenseWall they're pretty much the same.

Other virtualisation software is weird and not practical - ie uses RAM not hard drive and doesn't save any changes once you reboot so you have to save everything to a USB key.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For as long as you choose to use the software. As far as i can tell the only restriction is no free updates.

Actually from looking at the license details it would appear the license expires in the year 2107! LOL! :D

8. korb

korb Registered Member

thanks famerlee

btw, DW keep marking threatfire service(TFservice) as untrust.i already right click to run as trust but it just stay in the untrust list.do i need to reboot every time a make a untrust process to trusted one? does has cause DW to use up 20-35% of cpu as TF service is been watch.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Korb,

Open DW and click the untrusted tab. Select TFService choose remove, OK and Apply.

10. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Check out it is not within your untrusted list. Or, maybe, one of the folders is within untrusted apps list.

11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

LOL indeed! Typical! Nobody makes stuff designed to last any more.:mad:

12. korb

korb Registered Member

i did that ,but today when i start my pc,it TF is under trust process.so i guest the shut down and reboot make it initialise properly.

thanks to Ilya Rabinovich for this product :thumb:

13. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Yes, another solid program with a dev who visits this forum. Since this thread is about free apps, does that still apply to powershadow, or has that ship sailed.

14. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

AFAIK, it is no longer free. A quick search shows that tucows and download.com have version 2.6 as shareware $39. I still have version 2.8.2 which I got free and I'm keeping it as long as I can.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here innerpeace. Greets.

I still have the (then free) Power Shadow and intend to make use of it indefinitely since it continues to prove exceptionally stable and reliable no matter which HD it installs to.

That ship is no doubt sailed now that Returnil is pressed ahead with such a remarkably dependable virtual program, but luckily for me i guess i benefit from the best of both worlds with both of these. I have to admit i never did actually go with the PS 2.82 version and i not missed anything from neglecting it.

With my FD-ISR snapshots safely covered/shadowed with Power Shadow/Returnil along with SandboxIE trapping the browser activity, and the fact that i also employ the services of another great freeware HIPS in EQSecure 3.4, everything is remained perfectly protected by these STABLE & RELIABLE programs.

16. innerpeace

Hello Easter,

I would still have PS 2.6 also, but it was the first app to crash my system when I attempted to use single shadow mode. After the system fixed itself, I uninstalled it. Installing 2.8.2 was a bit of a pain to convert some files to English, but it has performed well. I only use it in full shadow as I'm still afraid to try single shadow mode LOL. I do like the fact it protects the MBR like Returnil does. Both programs work as advertised.

Do you remember if 2.6 calls out during install? I know 2.8.2 does very briefly. I think I still have a 2.6 installer (3.62MB) and a text file I saved with the key to match it. I just can't remember if it calls home to activate.

I hope that everyone takes a look at Sandboxes and Virtualization programs. Sandboxes and Virtualization apps are now easier to use and provide excellent protection. I once thought they were above my understanding, but after trying them, I haven't looked back.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That IS the single limitation found in version 2.6 but it's not yet proven a liability for me, but then i've somewhat ceased severe testings at the MBR untill i pick up another purely test HD to try different scenarios on.

And yes, PS "does" perform exceptionally well and it's great to hear 2.82 is proven useful for you as it still does many others i'm sure.

The calling out issue of 2.6 was easily diverted with a firewall rule and after that never repeats again. I still use the same activation key when it was first freely offered and always works. I also disable the Pre-Boot screen because i like to enter Single/Full shadow mode manually.

Apps like SandboxIE and some others seem to have first pioneered this virtual/sandboxing technology and now that many users benefit from real-time security and preservation of their systems like never before i agree everyone should use them. They been of enormous interest and since the debut of Returnil is made their mark in this field also, it's clear to many that this form of safety is really elevated confidence against potential risks.

18. innerpeace

Thank you, that's what I needed to know. After my reinstall of Windows, I will see if 2.8 works or not. I don't think it will but it's good to know I have 2.6 if I need it :).

:thumb: And the warm and fuzzy feeling you get when surfing is priceless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.