The Extent to which online dating is fake

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by merisi, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merisi

merisi Registered Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/29/online-dating_n_3671147.html

I watched this program earlier and I found it really unsettling. People were having their information stolen from their social networking accounts and it was then being used as a fake profile on online dating sites.

2. guest

guest Guest

I don't get it. Why do people like online dating? Is there anything wrong by doing it the old style? :blink:

Very interesting BTW, thanks. :D

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yeah watched it, not new info, but i bet a lot more people are now aware of it :thumb:

How many though even after learning about it, will Actually use the advice given, such as them showing how to image search faces on GoogleImage for fake profiles ?

4. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Match.com was sued a few years back for having employees post fake profiles. They have also been sued for not properly screening members, some of whom went on dates and harmed other members.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match.com

Personal note - I met several very nice ladies on Match, a couple of them have became good friends. Keep in mind, I'm an old guy, your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed.

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Online dating, like anything involving two people has its risks. That said, it's grown very popular and has had plenty of success. About the only way you're really going to know what you're getting into at first is calling them and using webcams for "face to face" chats. Other than that, you're not taking any more risk than you would be meeting someone out and about. If they are a serial killer and you're at their apartment, goodbye, nice knowing you. If they are and you're 1000 miles away sitting at a computer, you won't get stabbed...until you meet ;) :D

7. MrMillion8

MrMillion8 Registered Member

nothing new here, online dating will always have fake profiles, spammers and scammers. I experience those all the time. You just need to know who is real and who is not. Usually webcamming to confirm is a good way to find out. And meeting up as soon as possible is also a good idea to prevent being catfished. I learned that sugar daddy sites like seekingarrangement has few spammers. You can see why being a sugar daddy is fun here at http://www.freedatinghelper.com/reviews/seeking-arrangement/.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.