The End of Internet Advertising as We’ve Known It

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Dec 11, 2015.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The Web needs systems for transparent and anonymous micropayments. I'd be happy to pay $0.01 to $0.10 per article, depending on quality and length. Ensuring access by the poor is also important. Perhaps something analogous to public libraries could develop. Maybe funded by donations.

4. inka

inka Registered Member

WTF is "Privowny"?
    Yeah, typo for privoxy... but more than that, it's an indication of the (lack of) competence of the TechnownogyReview staff.

Clickbait everywhere ya turn.
    Wait, maybe Shoshana Whatsherface at Haaaaaavard sent them the entire article, as an opportunity to see his/her name in print?

5. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

There are ads that might be something you were interested in but you click and the item is no longer available or the website never loads.

This is worse than false advertising to me. Just Clickbait that's all somebody making money for nothing !

rrrh1 (arch1)

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Man oh man. I dunno about the rest of you long time good members but spamming online ads is not only cramming everything but the kitchen sink as in multiple repeating STUPID distracting ADS but it's literally made those websites completely useless IMO. Not to mention sneaking AUDIO spam embedding in them too. And here i thought that we security buffs had finally made serious inroads in spreading the word for many on blocking techniques that would been enough for them to fashion their sites to at least make them readable.

It's surpassed even our old nemisis Coolwebsearch in the notorious nature that ADS have completely saturated websites with all kinds of flash and Jquery CRAP with total lunacy.

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

My policy, for many years, has been not to click on an advertisement. (It's similar to my policy of not clicking on links in emails or attachments.)

If the advertisement offers something of interest (very rarely does) I search on line for the item and see what comes up.

----
    rich

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.