The embedded video screen!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Revisiting this annoyance in Firefox! Yes, disabling "Auto Play" and/or ad type blockers stop the videos from playing, however, has anyone cracked the case as to how to stop the screen from opening in the lower right portion of the monitor/website (at least on my system). Many news articles on CNN via MSN have them. I hate it I tell you! I'm thinking that if I knew what the precise element that is loading, an Adblock Plus or uBlock could be configured to stop them. Any clues as to what to look for would be helpful and I thank you!

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I feel your pain on that.

Those sites just can't stop putting their vids with the in your face mentality. And i for one am almost at the point of looking for a browser that works as Text Only. At least as an alternative. Those Bandwidth gulping gluttons who try to cram everything under the sun onto a single page site are almost as bad as adware villains anymore.

Someone should be along to answer your question about the Firefox annoyance. I gone over to Opera with uBlock and some others that work really well in dismantling those distracting web elements but lots of times I find I have to manually pick a page apart for it be reasonably readable.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

media.autoplay.enabled? There are some Firefox add-ons that may or may not work.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can stop this annoyances by using NoScript. I am never bother by videos that play automatically or screens when I browse. They only open if I allow the script that's required for the video to play or the screen to open. Perhaps there are exceptions but if there are, they rare.

Bo

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you so much Bo! This is working. It is extremely efficient, as I had to allow all of MSN's website, as it even removed the list/menu of articles. However, I had no issues with the site itself. The problem was opening any of its posted articles, which would include the embedded video screen. Have a good day!

6. bo elam

You are welcome, Ratchet. Yes, NoScript is very efficient for cleaning sites of disturbances and annoyances. And read this, in my opinion, NoScript is so good at killing malware silently that I never see any while browsing. Never.:)

Its the one addon that I cant live without. I dont know if you used it before or not but taking a no nonsense approach to it is the right way of using it when someone begins using it. After a few months, all things start making sense and you ll be hook for life.

You seen to be a natural NoScript user, what you done with MSN is what you are supposed to do. If you use MSN everyday, you add to your whitelist the domains that are required for the site to function for what you do in the site, and either leave the rest as is or add the rest of domains to your blacklist.

Bo

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This will often break websites, not the best solution in general.

8. bo elam

It doesn't break any for me. At least not the ones I visit regularly, every day. We all know thats the knock on NoScript, but in my opinion, that only happens when people don't know how to use NoScript or given themselves the chance to learn how to use the program properly. I use the program not because its cool but because it makes the internet better. And safer.

Bo

9. bo elam

And Rasheed, when you know how to use NoScript, all things related to using NoScript flow nice and easy. There is very little thinking required and theres no need for every day configuring or managing. If you think I spend time figuring this or that to get a site working, its very rare when that happens. If I had to spend time on a regular basis figuring things out, I wouldn't use NoScript.

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.