The driver detected a controller error on \device\cdrom1

Discussion in 'hardware' started by philby, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello again

I was trying to help someone else today (my first mistake :)) and wanted to image their system prior to tinkering in case of disaster using Macrium boot disk. I found I couldn't boot from the optical drive so, once into the machine, I checked Event Viewer (Vista SP1) and found about 34000 entries (!!) under system as per thread title.

I tried a number of different dvd/cd brands and the best I could get via right-click > explore or open in Explorer was a brief flash of an empty Explorer window.

The optical drive was reported as present and working correctly in Device Manager.

All I could think of doing was to uninstall the relevant driver in Device Manager and force the hardware to be re-detected by Windows. This had no effect at all.

I also scanned with MBAM / Prevx / HMP just in case the drive had been somehow hijacked and looked for anything immediately dodgy in Autoruns - nothing obvious (to me anyway).

Clutching pointlessly at straws, I also turned Autoplay off, on and then off again - no change.

In short, my question is:

Does the Windows error message necessarily mean it was a hardware issue (IDE cabling etc.) or could there be something else on the soft-side that I should have looked at?

Another unsatisfactory outcome - I'm having a bad week....

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

philby

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what is the error id code? I think you are right in suspecting hardware more. A new drive will be needed

3. philby

philby Registered Member

I think it was Event ID 11, but that's all I recall.

Thanks Cudni - feel a little bit better about it now.

philby

4. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Try a bootable disc, like a linux live disc. Set the bios to boot from it and cycle the power off and on. If it doesn't boot then it's likely hardware (check the cables)

5. Novastar 3d

Novastar 3d Registered Member

I wouldn't ever try a LINUX live CD on a windows machine again, but thats just me. I had similar problems As Philby AFTER trying it last time.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This error is most commonly associated with either a failing drive, a faulty data cable or a power issue.

Usually it is a failing drive, but I have seen a data cable that was in a box, not moving for years, suddenly cause problems ending in problems like this and usually erroneous data.

Years ago I swore off round IDE cables. I have had more issues with those than the standard flat 40/80 pin ribbon cables.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.