The downsides of buying a new Mac

Discussion in 'hardware' started by guest, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

The downsides of buying a new Mac
    The hefty price tag is only the beginning of the pain that comes as a result of buying a new Mac
    March 11, 2019
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-downsides-of-buying-a-new-mac/

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Is this supposed to be news? I mean Apples have for nearly 35 years been extremely proprietary, expensive to buy and expensive to upgrade. Buyers always have had limited models to choose from and limited (if any) and expensive options when buying. And Macs were always a bit finicky - or at least less intuitive in their operation.

Apple has always taken the position of "do it our way or no way". This is why, for 35 years, I have been amazed and confused over how Microsoft and Intel were constantly accused of [supposedly] being so pushy and inflexible. :confused: :rolleyes:

So was that author expecting times and Apple have changed? Apple is among the Top 10 richest companies in the world - well ahead of MS. Apple has no incentive to change their tactics when people keep putting up with them and plopping down outrageous amounts of money for their products.

FTR, I don't deny they make great stuff. Is paying extra for the name worth it? I personally don't believe so.

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

So you're saying that one company must be flexible because other is not? I think it is false dichotomy.

4. Bill_Bright

:thumbd: :( I never said anything of the sort!

Please don't try to put word in my mouth - Sorry, but you're not very good at it. Go by what I said and not by what you want to hear.

My comment that you quoted, specifically is about how people relentlessly accuse MS of being - when Apple is many times worse and given a pass - and even rewarded by folks paying exorbitant prices for their products.

So if you go by what I said, it is not false dichotomy at all. In fact it happens all the time with Microsoft in particular. Look at all the bashings and actual hateful and even violent comments over MS privacy. Yet Google, Facebook, our ISPs and especially our cell phone carriers are many times worse.

I did NOT say, suggest or imply one company must be more flexible than another. I said people need to stop being so biased and if they are going to compare one to another, they do so without prejudice and without false accusations.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I prefer Mac over M$ any day. Believe me, it's worth paying extra to not have to use Windows. I have four computers: iMac, laptop (Ubuntu), ChromeOS and Android (tablet). They're all better than Windows, whether they were cheaper or more expensive.

6. Bill_Bright

Well, of course that's a matter of opinion. But I think it is important to separate the hardware from the software - especially when claiming this computer is better than that computer.

There is nothing to suggest your laptop running Ubuntu, for example, will perform better or last longer than if it ran Windows. Same with your iMac. There is nothing to suggest it will serve you more years than a similarly configured Windows based computer.

The fact you said "M$" instead of "MS" just illustrates my point about biases and prejudices. Apple is clearly more greedy than Microsoft.

There is nothing wrong with "preferring" one over the other - as long as it is for legitimate reasons. And frankly, because you are used to one and not another is a legitimate reason.
    You don't have to pay extra to not use Windows. You do to use MacOS.

7. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Considering you can do it for free that's an idiotic statement.
    Millions would beg to differ, I included.

8. Daveski17

I've never used Mickeysoft hardware. I'm pretty sure I never will.

Every laptop I converted to Ubuntu from Windows worked better. Finally I just bought a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu.

And your evidence for this value statement is ....

I legitimately prefer all Unix to Windows.

It's worth every penny.

9. Daveski17

You have to think about this a bit Joxx. I bought a Mac, it runs macOS. If it cost more than an equivalent Windows machine it was worth it to me. I can't get a free iMac. I'm not the idiotic one here Joxx.

And millions would probably agree with me.

10. Bill_Bright

Ummm, look at the prices of an iMac of iPhone and compare it to any other. Read the article on the opening post and see how much it cost to add 16GB or a 4TB drive.
    LOL - there that bias showing through again.
    Try 100s of millions.
    Versus 100s of millions, I agree. Again, I NEVER said their products are bad, just way over priced.

I think it is time to drop this. Apple lovers and Microsoft haters refuse to see the big picture so debating this is pointless.

Have a good day.

11. Daveski17

I know the prices Bill. I can afford a Mac. I don't care about adding GB's and TB's. I needed a new desktop and, as I'd rather walk up the M6 with nails in my shoes than buy Windows again, I had a choice between Linux and Mac. As I wasn't sure about Linux and hardware compatibility it seemed like a Mac was a good choice. To be honest, I don't think it cost me a great deal more than a PC equivalent.

Mickey lost me as a customer after the whole Win 8.nonsense/Win 7 updating borking began. My bias developed after Microsoft acted the way they did.

I don't need to.

And as I said earlier, for me, it was worth paying more.

I can see the big picture Bill. I don't hate Microsoft, but I am disappointed in their attitude and they have lost me as a customer. The whole fiasco with Win 8/Win 10 things and M$ desperately trying to push people to upgrade before they're ready has soured me somewhat. Canonical have never treated their user base like this, and as far as I know neither has Apple. Apple and Microsoft are both big greedy corporations. As they say in my country "You pays your money and you takes your choice". I chose Apple for my replacement desktop and I couldn't be happier.

You have a good day too.

12. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Exactly, same here. :thumb:

13. Daveski17

It was a logical choice for me. I thought Win 7 was pretty good for Microsoft and I'd have liked to have been allowed to run it properly updated until support ended. Microsoft denied me this and even tried to sneak an OS upgrade onto my computer. I just had enough.

14. reasonablePrivacy

Back in the Windows XP days Microsoft almost had monopoly on OS market. You could buy Apple hardware or install Gnu/Linux on PC, but the biggest issues were related to Microsoft. Network connectivity with Windows machines, collaboration on MS Office documents (de facto standard, but not documented by Microsoft).

15. Bill_Bright

XP? W8 nonsense? Gee, sure am glad you guys don't hold grudges. Oh wait. Never mind. :rolleyes:

As far as W8.0, it should be noted MS totally acknowledged they blew it. How many times have you seen that from apple? That's exact why they came out with W8.1 and then went even further by offering for free, W10.

And for the record, I have said many times that MS really blew it with W8 too. But in reality, it was an excellent OS. The problem was how their marketing weenies and execs tried to force the new Metro UI down our throats. It was disgusting and they did it just so users looking for a new smart phone would pick up a Windows Phone and automatically like it. Didn't work.

16. Daveski17

Bill, I have no idea what 'marketing weenies' are or whatever parallel universe they inhabit, but I really like my iMac and I hugely prefer macOS to Windows. This isn't about grudges, it's about preferences, trust and sincerity.

I'm now totally Microsoft free. And I'm happy.

17. Bill_Bright

Parallel universe? LOL At times, that might seem ironically accurate.

In Microsoft and like most companies, you have 3 major groups. The people who actually do the work, the developers - the programmers who actually do the software design and development. The fact is, they are some of the best in the world, bar none.

Then you have the executives and bean (money) counters. They may or may not know anything about the product development. They run the business "strategically" - that is, they look ahead 5 and 10 years and guide the company that way.

Then you have the marketing department. These are the people who think they know what everyone will automatically love and buy. They sell or market the product. They are supposed to do surveys and studies but seems they are in some other universe because they keep coming up with marketing schemes (like the Windows 8 "Metro" UI) way "out there".
    And that's just fine. But this thread is not about what OS we prefer.

I prefer my Ford F150 truck too.

18. Daveski17

I'm serious.

I'd never have guessed.

If only life was this simple, eh?

Well, if you have to blame somebody ....

Well, in a way it is. If you prefer Mac and don't mind paying for it there are no real downsides.

Speaking of thread relevancy, what operating system does it run, Mac, Linux or Windows?

19. reasonablePrivacy

I don't mean that Windows XP was bad OS. I mean that Microsoft back in these days used dirty tactics against open-source community and commercial competition. Microsoft was in position of power, had almost monopolistic position. Apple was not.

20. Daveski17

This is also true, particularly with some open source office suites.

The word 'hegemony' comes to mind.

21. guest

guest Guest

Apple is to computers/phones what a Ferrari is to cars.
    Not forcibly better spec but surely fancier and every parts way more expensive.
    It is why people buy them, they have the money, they like fancy, they buy.
    Sure with the same amount of money you can have an awesome PC.
    It is like tuning a average car (pc) vs buying a luxury car (Mac).

Once you understand that, the OP article is pointless and nothing much to debate.

22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

+100 You nailed it! :thumb:

23. Daveski17

There's a reason why a Ferrari 488 costs more than a Vauxhall Astra. ;)

24. Deckard

Deckard Registered Member

If you watch the Louis Rossmann's videos, you will discover that the Ferrari is expensive, yes, but poorly damn. He knows what he's talking about. I mean, it's his job, he's been doing that all days since years. His conclusion is clear, regarding Apple and the design quality.
    Here is a synthetic video but the others are also interesting.
    The horrible truth about Apple's repeated engineering failures. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

When I see the costly iMacPro throttling, ditto for MacMini, with CPUs reaching 95C or even more, it is shameful. MacRumors forum has a lot of topics on that.
    The positive side of the Mac, apart from its OS, is its ease of resale. Try to resell an assembled PC ....
    The negative side, an expensive computer, non-evolutive, overheating, etc.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  25. Bill_Bright

Wow!
    A day for the history books. guest, Mr.X and I are all in agreement and on the same page! :D

To carry on a bit with guest's luxury car analogy, it should be pointed out that just because a car is luxurious and cost more, that does NOT mean or even imply it is first and foremost, more reliable. And second, that does not mean it is "better" is "all" areas of comparison in "all" usage scenarios for "all" owners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.