The detection percentage means how much to an AV software ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aluckystar, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

As I know, KAV is the leader in detection percentage, but many ones don't think it is the best AV software. Actually, Dr.Web is more popular in Russia.

I want to know that is detection percentage so important ?
    It means how much to an AV software, thank you.

I also want to know which one is the best AV software in you opinion ?

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Not really "the" leader, but it is one of the leaders in signature-based detection, while its heuristic detection is a bit lacking (for now).

If I believe right, then Kaspersky has more market share than Dr.Web in Russia :D

Actually, it isn't as important as many think IMO. Detection percentage only tells how much malware a scanner detected amongst a selected number of samples. It will always vary, one day AntiVirus X may have 99% and the next it could drop to 97%.

However, what is important is the detection level. When an AntiVirus consistently detects above a certain percentage (say 90% or 95%), then it is a good antivirus. As such, no AV will protect you from all malware.

Even IBK from AV-Comparatives States that one should not pay too much attention to the detection percentages, one should focus more on the level of detection it achieved (Advanced, Standard, Advanced+)

There is no "best" AV software. The "best" will vary according to user opinion and personal experiences, not to mention time. You should simply use the one you like. :)

3. shek

shek Registered Member

The detection rate is the most important factor for me. But I will not choose an AV based on the it only. The best AV is the one you feel comfortable to use. Therefore, there is no absolute NO.1 AV in the industry.

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I read somewhere: There are also many other important factors and features (e.g. support, compatibility, graphical user interface, speed, language, price, update frequence, ease of management, system resource usage, speed, etc.) to consider. Although extremely important, the detection rate of a product is only one aspect of a complete Anti-Virus product. ;)

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I fully agree :thumb: :thumb:

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Me , too :D :thumb: :thumb:

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

agree with you also, and in my oppinion the detection is about 85% of what I look to an AV

8. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Detection capability is also very high for me, but looking at IBK's list;
    I could see that for a lot of users without the love or understanding of security products found in here, some of those other factors could outweigh 'Detection Scores'.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I fully agree :)

Although detection rates are important, the other things about the program are also quite important. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.