The Countdown to Ad-Aware 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Publishing candidly i must, AND equally being a fiercely devoted Lavasoft online volunteer as i was at one time, and a tireless worker at that, i have to say it's been a long time coming.

What remains to be seen is if they (Lavasoft) have taken a newer & more determined course than the one they left behind, including a once wide-open forum to handle customer users both free and commercially licensed.

I worked with some of the most friendliest and i have to admit, intelligent volunteers who never drew a single penny from them, but advanced that product even in excess of the engineering departments efforts. For that i am eternally grateful, but they certainly made sure they took a back seat to almost every single AS that existed not to mention turned a blind eye to the honest concerns the inside volunteers tried desperately to bring to their attention.

Well, that was then and this is now. Being one if not THE most popular AS programs circulated around the globe for a time, all eyes are going to be focused on what is proposed to be distributed to end users/customers now.

Without a doubt AAW is fallen woefully behind the times and tumbled from it's former respectability to something rarely if ever mentioned anymore except those who been trapped or coerced in an endless circle of addressing product issues as well as expecting expert attention that fell far short from a business who was supposed to be an industry leader of sorts in their field.

Personally i harbor no ill will or sour feelings for them seeing the multitudes of developers who have stepped up and over their poor limitations, but as mentioned, remains to be seen if this, (another) announcement pans out to be a publicity move only for them or if this time they really delved into improving not only their product but taken the steps people have long expected from them in addressing their issues HONESTY or not.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so can Ad Aware reclaim its crown?
    with this long due update.
    only time will tell
    i cant wait to see some screenshots.
    lodore

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

There are not any "technologies" announces in the press release worth the wait:
    -Incremental updates. A must-have today.
    -Added scheduler. Another must-have.
    -Better GUI. Important to few people, but it generates sales :p
    -Improved Ad-Watch. Who cares; it isn´t available in the free version and real time AS isn´t the way to go.
    -Enhanced Code Sequence Identification. Wonder how good is it.
    The best wishes to pioneer Lavasoft, although I´m not holding my breath.

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Ad-Adaware - bah.

Just about useless except for the odd traking cookie.

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I haven't use Ad-Aware in months, and before that all it was good for was tracking cookies. I was always hoping for a update that actually meant I would detect something with AD-Aware.

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

YAY a new version

9. pipester

pipester Guest

I haven't used Ad-Aware in years, or any other adware/spyware tools for that matter, but it's always interesting to see what new develpement brings to the table in the malware fight.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Finally a new version!!!

11. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I disagree, people often bash Ad-aware, and I'll be the first to admit it's not the best, but when cleaning an infected machine I have found it to find remnants and registry entries on occasion that other 'top' AS scanners have missed. It may not have the same levels of detection as other AS scanners, but for those it can detect- it cleans very thoroughly, in my experience.

Londonbeat

12. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

This reflects my experience as far as cleaning up orphaned reg values etc leftover by the main players nowadays.

It will be interesting to see how the *new technology* pans out,which packers they can unravel,whether or not they hook the kernel for detection&cleaning/self protection etc

So pointless for folks to judge until it has arrived.

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Did anyone manage to find the download link? I didn't.
    Mrk

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You can see from the first post that the download will be available soon... ;)

15. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

It is not yet available from the beta site but you can register to try the beta when it is available some time later:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/beta_applications.php

It is a revamped beta site and all previous registrations were gone. I need to re-register again to log in to the site.

16. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Has Adaware Se 2007 been released yet?

Has it been released yet? coz when i update adaware the news says to upgrade to 2007 but on the istes there is not 2007 version?

17. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello Chubb,

Thanks for supplying the beta testing link, I have made an application. Ad-aware certainly has a lot to live up to and a lot to prove now that there are many more competitors out there.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months. I say months as I cant see it being released as a final for a while yet, since it will have to be beta tested first and its not yet available for beta testing at the moment. So "available soon" means a while yet - sometime in 2007! But I look forward to trying it out all the same when it is released for beta testing. :cool:

Richie

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i cant see it getting up the detection rate and beating everyone else but everyone could be surprised.
    lodore

19. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

:D I A M S K I N Z :D

Count Up To 2008 maybe? :shifty:

21. Vissionary

Vissionary Registered Member

Neither do I... But amazing things do happen... Look at MS... They made an anti-virus... Looks like they do care about our security.... for 60$...

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i am looking forward to ad-aware 2007 since the old versions used to be good.
    lodore

23. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well only time will tell:D
    lodore

25. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

IMHO, and i'm not leaning toward bias even though after having become quite distant from them & that old Ad-Detector, AAW is fell so far backwards compared to today's ACTIVE! Leaders, that it's impossible for them to make any real impact in this field.
    However since they do pride themselves on satisfying their Corporate base mostly anyway, that seems a likely target audience for AAW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.