The Care & Feeding Of KAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AlamoCity, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlamoCity

AlamoCity Registered Member

KAV is overly sensitive to remnants of uninstalled anti-virus programs like Norton. It also won't get along well with some of the other security programs you use. But it's a "classic" in the AV arena, and is worth having to monkey around with.

Many of the stability problems and bugs attributed to KAV can be traced back to it's birth on your system, and who it's siblings are. The best way to get a clean install and avoid problems is to:

1) Reformat.
    2) Install KAV first.
    3) Install/use Bootback (or a similar program).
    4) Install your firewall. Then go online to download the MS updates. Also, test your firewall in the process, to see how well KAV likes it.
    5) KAV has to come first. If it doesn't get along with your firewall, use Bootback to go back in time, and try another firewall. Or just use KIS, which is what Kaspersky wants you to do anyway.
    6) Install supplemental security programs one at a time, and test each one thoroughly to make sure KAV gets along with it. If there's any sibling rivalry, use Bootback to go back in time.

Follow these instructions carefully, and you too can be the proud parent of a happy KAV baby. But always remember, it's temperamental, and you will have to humor it to avoid tantrums.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I haven't found KAV to be tempermental at all, and I've been uninstalling and reinstalling a whole bunch with the beta's. I've not even had to use the special cleaning tools.

It is true it doesn't like old AV left overs, but if you've uninstalled the AV, and run a reliable registry cleaner like RegsupremePro and deleted any left over files you should be fine.

I also haven't found the order of install mattered except once when two different programs beta's were clashing. That was soon solved.

KAV 5.0 was a little trickier with it's Istream stuff, but that is long since gone.

Pete

3. Technic

Technic Registered Member

I second that Peter.

~~<snip>~~ Peter2150

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  4. AlamoCity

Question for moderators: Where is the "report bad post feature" to complain about someone who is stalking and attacking me? I can't find it anywhere.

Never mind, I found it, disguised as an icon.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its the thing circled in black pen with the two arrows.
    lodore

<<snip>> Peter2150

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  6. AlamoCity

Thanks Iodore, I found it already, thanks to a nice guy who sent me a PM.

7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I've never had any problems running KAV. I have a couple of file and registry cleaners I use when I install/uninstall programs. Reformatting seems way too drastic a solution.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ive never had any problems when i uninstalled f-secure to install kav.
    but plenty of people have old versions of norton preinstalled which leave bits behind and can conflict with any av.
    lodore

9. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

Even if you run the SYMNRT tool (latest) on NIS/NAV 07 AND run a registry cleaner , I've still been getting "install failed" boxes popping up during a KIS install.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I haven't encountered problems installing KAV/KIS after removing a different AV from my computer. There is a sticky on the Kaspersky forum titled "Removing other anti-viruses, Before installing Kaspersky" that you may want to try before reformatting.

Removing other anti-viruses, Before installing Kaspersky

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

5) KAV has to come first.

it doesnt matter what comes first or not, i wouldnt use any AV that gives problems, no matter which vendor it is. :isay:

12. AlamoCity

In regards to being temperamental, I was primarily referring to it's interaction with other programs.

Are you saying that you haven't even experienced problems with corrupt KAV files, that disabled additional updates, causing you to have to manually fix the problem each time? How long have you been using KAV on a consistent basis?

I take it you've never had Norton AV on your system. :D

Not too long ago, I read about a case in which KAV had to be installed before a specific firewall program in order to avoid serious conflicts.

I thought the "Istream" stuff was the reason Bootback/FirstDefense-ISR is still experiencing problems with the current version of KAV? You know, where KAV adds something to every file, or changes them in some way.

13. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

On my PC, i had NOD, Panda and Dr Web installed (on seperate occasions of course), then installed KAV, and then KIS... didnt have any problems.

on my laptop, i had NIS 07 installed as OEM and didnt have any problems installing KIS (used Norton removal tool of course)

on my friends PC, she had McAfee installed as OEM and didnt have any problems installing KIS (used McAfee removal tool of course)

... i think reformating is a little overexagerated to say the least, but yes, some users do have issues with installing Kaspersky if previous software isnt totally removed.
    ... thanks for instructions in OP, but i dont think formatting HD should be there (IMO)

14. AlamoCity

Why is my way the best way for installing and taking care of KAV? I'm glad you asked that. :)

KAV has a history of problems with instability and buggy performance, there's no denying that. Yes, it's obvious that all software programs have problems with bugs at one time or another. But some have more problems than others.

KAV and NOD32 is a good example of what I'm talking about. Because many people have dumped KAV and moved on to NOD32 solely because NOD32 is much more reliable and stable. After installing it, they can go on about their lives without having to constantly worry about the next update throwing a wrench in their system. Or the next security program they install causing problems/conflicts. Etc., Etc.

When you don't install and take care of KAV my way, you won't know for sure if KAV is the culprit if/when you experience serious problems later on. Consequently, you may decide to dump KAV for something it's not responsible for, thus losing out on the great protection it provides.

My philosphy is simply that KAV comes first, and if I dump it to switch to AntiVir or NOD32, I'm going to make sure I'm justified in doing so. This is just one reason to install KAV "the best way", at least for me.

There are other reasons, I just don't have the time/energy to go into them. In fact, I'm going to try to stop posting period, as I'm not getting much work done. As one post leads to another, and another, and another, as I'm sure everyone is aware of.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not going to get into a debate, but for any new comers reading, just note Alamocity's is indeed just HIS way.

I also spend a good deal of time in the Kaspersky forum's and I just don't see the majority of folks having the problems he has had. Just note that this may well have be his experience, but doesn't mean it will be yours.

Pete

16. Technic

Technic Registered Member

No problems here with KAV. I have installed and un-installed KAV many many times with the remnants of the other AV's.:thumb:

17. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Do you have any proof of what you advance here.o_O If yes, please let us know. By the way I'm not a KAV fan.;)

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I was a long time (2yrs) NOD32 user. Been using KAV now KIS well over a year. So I find OP's arguements invalid.

19. AlamoCity

20. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

AlamoCity appears to have several issues with Kaspersky. :rolleyes: Why he's still using it is the million dollar questions.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=173156

I service dozens of different pc's each week, and I cannot recall the last time I've had a Kaspersky install issue due to remnants of an old AV.

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Nothing of note in this thread. You'll have to do better. Sure some people have switched From KAV to NOD, but there has been movement in the other direction as well. I'm a NOD user by the way.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  22. AlamoCity

That's why I said "keep an eye on it". The thread was just started an hour ago, give it a little time to ripen and bear some fruit. :)

23. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Like Peter, my experience is different. I've not experienced any problems with updates, although I have heard of some, but then I must have missed them. ;)

What I'd really love to see is someone to create a database about users who have KAV/KIS installed with details about their operating system, their machine, what other software they have installed and so on. Surely there must be a common denominator as to why such programs work on some computers and not others.

24. AlamoCity

Because I like it better than the alternatives. Anything negative I've said about it falls strictly under the realm of constructive criticism, designed to make the program better.

Because if no one complains about all of the shortcomings, the developers have little incentive to improve anything other than the detection rates. (Don't think they don't keep an eye on the major forums to see what the general public is saying about them, because they do.)

And I simply don't want a program that causes more problems than it solves. I went for more than a year without any AV protection at all and didn't get infected.

25. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Sorry but you say "Many people have dumped KAV" I see only a couple...If you want to make statement like that you should have something stronger to back it up.:thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.