The boss is getting serious about e-mail snooping.

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

And so they should Ron, it's theft on a grand scale isn't it?...is there a difference between using your Company for your own private Email use or taking all your snail mail to work and using the Franking Machine to save on buying Stamps?..... :D

Cochise, :cool:

3. dog

dog Guest

Not just that ... but I'm sure it's a popular way to leak out sensitive/confidential info :ninja: ... which is most likely the strongest reasoning for it, as the article suggested.

I wonder if my employer tries to decrypt my emails, as the few personal emails I send from work, are basically just encrypted attachments, which are locked inside a zip. :D The recipient already knows both passwords, as they are pre-determined by month ... I guess they could crack them, and notice the pattern. :cool:

4. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Couldn't agree with the above sentiments more. When at work, you should be working, and what you produce 'should be' works property.

Granted the occasional outside personal contact is warranted, however, unless you feel you should pay the boss back for however long you spend conducting personal business (seeing as you're taking money from him while you are doing that), I can't see how people can complain about the boss checking work related stuff (which is what email should be, unless permission is given to use work equipment for other purposes).

Email is such an abused privelege that the big companies are losing mega dollars over it, and people think it's their right to incur these costs ?

To put it another way, I personally think that sending a personal email for legitimate purposes is fine, and 99.9% of the time you don't feel like asking the boss 'hey boss, I really need to send a personal email, is that okay?'...and so there's really no reason to complain if they wonder what this unknown email is all about...

...esp since they're paying for me to send it <most costs involved in the time it took me interrupt my work, think up the email and type it...then to remember where I was in my work process>

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Where I work email is monitored but not for content, but Net useage.. whole nother story. Everthing logged and scanned by user location program looking for key words. I've seen it. It is ruthless. We are talking zip privacy and you get called down for stupid benign harmless stuff too. Big Brother at it's worst. :p :mad:

Somebody sends me something with a link send it home would not even think about opening it at work. No matter what. :(

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

hmmm...no more mass emails about the bosses bad comover :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.