The best free security setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Scoobs, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No, I simply stopped using TrueCrypt, because I thought TC would do something for me, but I was very wrong, it was my misunderstanding. I was a bit disappointed and I gave encryption a rest. :)

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

:D Yeah maybe... I'm from country where linux come from and most people don't even know what it is.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I guess that they know Windows very well ! ;)

4. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Riiiight. This is getting into territory I wasn't quite prepared for.

I was after a fairly unobtrusive arranngement I could set up and then not worry too much about, bar regular updates and scans.

At the moment I have an 80gb HDD with one 40gb XP partition on it. (I had intended to experiment with a PCLinuxOS partition in the free space).

I've had a play with Returnil but I'm not too keen on the intrusive logo at the top of my screen all the time. That said, I think I'm unhappy because I feel that without a proper separate partition for my system I'm not getting the best protection I could from it.

I've just got my system set up as I like it (the download of open office will be a bugger to do again) but if people recommend starting again then so be it.

If I did start from scratch again, what should I do? I'm thinking -

• Install two partitions
    • Install all the progs I'm fairly certain are safe from USB stick (after downloading them at work) onto the "system" partition (ie, Firefox, sandboxie,AVG, Returnil, Online Armor, and Threatfire - which i haven't looked at yet)
    • Set up the other partition as a "data" partition to hold any files, and things like my firefox profile etc.
    • Set up Returnil to always run and to "freeze" my system partition.

If there's a decent thread about how to set up from scratch I haven't found it yet.

5. ErikAlbert

If you like your actual setup, keep it. Nobody forces you to do all this. You can always do it later and think longer about it first.

6. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

After a bit more reading, I think I'd want to cut down the list of programs I use.

I think I'd go for:-
    1. Firefox (with Noscripts and Adblock Plus with Easylist filters)
    2. Sandboxie (paid - with Sandboxed FF set as default browser)
    3. Online Armor (free version)
    4. AVG (free version)
    5. Returnil (free)

Then I would use something like Karen's Replicator to back up my data partition to an external HDD.

If I decide to install a program at a later date, is there any way to let it past Returnil, so that if I have to recover the system partition I don't lose the program? (I'm just thinking about the recent OpenOffice download and install I did)

7. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Erik, thanks a lot mate. You've been really helpful answering all my innane questions!

My current thinking is that if there's a decent straightforward way to start from scratch then now, before I fill my PC with the usual rubbish, is the time to do it.

I think that with my curent 40gb partition on an 80gb HDD, I'm better off starting again, rather than trying to resize and format the partitions into the right configuration (ie, small system partition - I'm guessing something like 20gb?)

Or can I work with what I've got?

8. ErikAlbert

If you are motivated to do this separation, then :
    1. System Partition [C:] = 20gb = Windows + ALL Applications
    2. Data Partition [D:] = 100gb = personal files.
    It depends how many applications you have of course.

9. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Thanks Erik. I'm going to give it a go.

Looking for a free partitioning program now.

10. ErikAlbert

11. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

I'm wondering... would it be rude to start a new thread about "Best Free Security Setup from scratch"?

At the moment my method would be:-

1. Boot from Partition Boot CD (Eg Ultimate Boot CD – with Cute Partition Manager)
    2. Partition HDD (Eg 120 GB HDD – 2 partitions first 30gb, second 90gb)
    3. Restart PC booting from XP install disk
    4. Load XP onto 30gb partition
    5. Install Returnil, AVG, Online Armor, Sandboxie, Firefox
    6. Set up Returnil, AVG, and Online Armor as always on.
    7. Install Firefox extensions Adblock Plus (with all 3 easylist filters), Noscript.

12. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Thanks Erik. I've just realised that I have a copy of Thhe Ultimate Boot CD floating around somewhere, and I think that's got Ranish on it. I'll give it a whirl.

13. ErikAlbert

Yes, I vaguely remember that this CD has Ranish on it.
    It's good to have some practical experience with partitioning. 2 years back, I didn't even know what a partition was.

14. HURST

HURST Registered Member

You could also try GParted LiveCD. It's linux based and has worked well for me.

The only way to do this with Returnil free, is to disable Returnil's protection, reboot, install and the enable Returnil again.

Returnil paid has the option of "total session save".

15. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Thanks Hurst, that's good to know.

16. ErikAlbert

Scoobs,
    Regarding WinXPproSP2 and its activation and my personal experiences.
    - activating Windows via internet works but not forever, I think it's about 4 months, at least in Belgium.
    - after that, I couldn't use internet anymore, so I had to do this by phone.
    In order to avoid phone-activation in the future, I took an image of my activated Windows.
    So now I can restore Windows, instead of installing + activating it, if I ever want to re-install my computer again from scratch.
    Don't know if that is important to you, but I hate phone-activation : too many numbers via phone (about 100 digits and no mistake) and I have to give an explanation, why I want to re-install Windows.

17. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Thanks Erik - that is important to me. Thanks for the heads up. What did you use to image?

18. ErikAlbert

ShadowProtect Desktop, quite expensive about $80.00.
    Maybe you better ask for cheaper solutions at Wilders or even freewares.

19. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Acronis True Image 11 is about $50

I read in a post that ATI8 was around for free, but I have never used it, nor do I know if it's legal.

20. ErikAlbert

Scoobs,
    Take care of your Image Backup software FIRST and test it after installing Windows : backup and above all restore and more than once. It's the ideal moment to test IB software, when you are installing your computer from scratch. And use the Recovery CD.

I also recommend a Zero Tool to fill your harddisks with zeroes. You can do this much later, but you will need it after having a KillDisk attack. You can't even use your Recovery CD anymore after such attack, not even the Windows CD.
    Go to the manufacturer website of your harddisk first, they usually have tools (freeware) to test your harddisk. DBAN is also good for that purpose.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  21. HURST

HURST Registered Member

As a matter of fact, Ultimate Boot CD has DBAN...I used it on my last fresh install and worked great... it slow, 18 hours, for just one pass on a 80 gig HD

22. ErikAlbert

That is very long. I have also a 80 gig HD (WD Raptor).
    The Zero Tool of WD needs 20 minuts to do a full zero.
    I'm almost 100% sure that DBAN has also a zero option and that took 18 hours ?

23. HURST

HURST Registered Member

yes.

there where many options: one-pass zeros, DoD 3 passes, DoD 7 passes, Guttmann 35 passes.

I choose one pass zeros. I remember wondering how just filling a disk with zeros could take so long...

24. ErikAlbert

If I was you, I would visit the manufacturer website of your harddisk and see if there are any tools to zero your harddisk.
    18 hours is inhuman. :D

25. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I agree, specially when you NEED your computer to work on your thesis :thumbd:

But I hope not doing it again until I sell my computer next year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.