The Best FREE Disk Imaging program: Comparative Analysis

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by PJC, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I looked forward to viewing the report until they said Clonezilla was excluded from testing because it's too complicated. IMO, a flawed review!

Clonezilla may well look complicated but it's actually one of the easier ones to use. In Beginner's mode, you accept all the defaults (I have yet to try it in a system where you can't accept the defaults.) And the only other stuff you need to know is where your image is coming from and where you're saving it too (which is in common with all other imaging programs.)

How much easier could it ever be? There are several tutorials online for Clonezilla that can take you through the process. IMO, if you practice with it a time or 2, you've got it.

I've tried all the ones they did review. I wouldn't choose any over Clonezilla.

With Easeus, I had error messages when I restored and booted into Windows (the version I tried was not the latest.)
    With Paragon, image creation and restore is sooooo sloooooow! I have better things to do with my time.
    Macrium wouldn't always launch the bootable media for restoration. Useless if that happens!
    DriveImage XML?? You need 3rd party software integration to be able to restore your image. Why??

I have found Clonezilla to be the program I was looking for when Image for DOS ("IFD" is a paid app) became too complicated (with all the options the developer kept adding. There is no beginner's mode in IFD.) I still like a few other "paid" apps too but Clonezilla is my king of the "free" hill!

3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Do any of the imaging programs offer a set & forget daily,weekly monthly backup schedule? That I think is what I have to put on my 'wanted' list as I'm a shocker with forgetting to backup regularly.

4. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

CloneZilla OR DriveImage XML?

(1) In terms of Reliability (= Image Restoration success), which one is superior?

(2) In terms of Image Creation Speed, which one is superior?

(3) In terms of Image Restoration Speed, which one is superior?

6. operamail

operamail Registered Member

7. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

(1) they re both very reliable. clonezilla can only do cold imaging (offline) but DXML can do both cold and hot imaging.

(2) Clonezilla is faster, by how much depends on the data being backed up and compression levels used.

(3) Clonezilla is faster

i use DXML as a backup to active@ disk image and it has never let me down :thumb:. only used clonezilla a couple times and it worked fine when i did use it, however i chose DXML due to the ability to do hot imaging (imaging from within the OS)

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Having said that, you can Close this Thread, Mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.