The BEST and EASIEST FIX for msg121.dll PERiod!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by bushmanusu, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bushmanusu

bushmanusu Registered Member

I cannot take credit for this fix it was posted by the dude below....but it is by far the best and most accurate way to fix the msg121.dll(burn in hell you little bastard!!!!!) After searching other message boards and following all kinds of lengthy (incorrect advice) this fix actually worked! Thanks HippyTech dude! :D

Reply #6 By: HippyTech (Anonymous User) - 2/17/2004 10:45:40 PM

I know what problem you have!!! I'm an IT dude who just spent a ton of time fighting
    this issue...

First of all you do need to get a good spyware scanner...try http://www.lavasoft.de
    and download ad-aware...just make sure you use its "Update" function before running
    it or it won't do much good. You probably have more than just this one and an updated
    ad-aware or spybot should knock them out.

That said, here's a quick way to fix your logon delay...

Open up regedit.exe and find THIS folder. Navigate to it by clicking the +'s to expand
    things like you would in Windows explorer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\Guardian

Right click over "Guardian" in the left pane.
    Left click on "Permissions"
    Left click "SYSTEM" once to highlight it.
    Check "deny" in all boxes that you can at the bottom (Probably only 2)
    Left click Apply
    Left Click OK

Say "OK" to any warnings about permissions
    **Reboot** the system

You will then have removed the logon delay.

Then, once you are logged back on, if you can, delete

C:\Windows\System32\msg117.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\msg118.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\msguard.dll

if you have any of these at all. You might even have msg116 or some other number.
    Delete any of those files if you can. It will probably let you delete them. If it doesn't,
    you'll probably need to boot to a command prompt and delete them manually.
    To do that, choose f8 when your pc first boots, choose command prompt and then:

cd\windows\system32
    del msguard.dll
    del msg118.dll

That should take them out..

No worries...

Just remember to get a spyware checker to kill the other ones you probably have.

Should at least solve most of your problems with zestyfind and the logon delay...

Hope it helps,

Down with Shrub and peace out...

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi bushmanusu,

I am very sorry to say that, although this may have worked for version 121 (which I doubt), this pest updates itself so anyone infected with version 121 now has version 122.

Read this thread on that subject: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=26403

Regards,

Pieter

3. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

In a SpyBot scan yesterday [new version] a pop up had a Msng.exe alert - I let SpyBot fix the problem. Is this the same thing that is being discussed hereo_O

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Peaches4U,

Trust me when I say that if you are infected with this malware, you will know something is very, very wrong. :eek:
    I have a (backupped) image of a Windows Me computer here you can play with if you like.
    It won´t do anything within 15 minutes, if it is willing to do something at all. :ninja:

It took me a few hours to get it to respond at all and I can't get it completely clean. ~insert picture of man smashing comp~

The new RC of Spybot has some shortcomings to be worked out. Better be carefull what you remove.

Regards,

Pieter

5. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Thanks Pieter for your comments. Computer is working just fine and I know I have no infections - touch wood!! I presumed that little message had to do with Messenger sending info. out as it was detected as spyware but Messenger can't send anything out because I have it controlled by my firewall and it would need to know my password to get info. out. There has been no decline in the performance of my computer. I had another message from SpyBot yesterday about S132.exe and I just clicked on "remind me later" as I have no idea what it is. My computer is performing very smoothly so did not figure I should take any action. I hope I am doing the right thing in this case. o_O Cheers.

6. bushmanusu

bushmanusu Registered Member

Sorry Pieter....
    But I staand by my post. After searching through many forums and trying 5 different fixes this fix allowed me to fix my computer a delete MSG115-msg121.dll. No spyware S&D, no disjointed DOS commands....nothing. So you can doubt the fix but it worked, wether or not it just worked for me I dont know but hopefully it could help someone somewhere as it has helped me so bug off with your little "doubt it" comment. Why would I make this fix up knowing how much of a pain in the ass this thing is!?!?!?!?

7. jbarnes

jbarnes Guest

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! for the msg121 fix bushmanusu. It worked for me and allowed me to go in and finally delete the file. Computer starts up fast again.

8. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

9. Holy crap, that slow login was plauging me for months!! GONE!!!!

10. lakeharry

lakeharry Registered Member

I'm a happy lil' man after getting rid of msg118.dll ... thanks to your post. It was simple and accurate. Thanks for spending your time posting the fix. I'm putting a "star" beside your name!!

11. rcul8r

rcul8r Guest

This solution worked perfectly for me, I was finally able to get rid of that damn thing. The only question that I have now is do I need to go back into registry and reset the check boxes to allow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.