The benefits / disbenefits of encryption in email

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by zenapp, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenapp

zenapp Registered Member

Hi

Please can someone explain the security benefits over hotmail for example that using an android app like mysecuremail can offer when using with hushmail.

Im into the process of testing it out and there are options for sending mail I have now I've downloaded the security certificate.

One option for the email is to do nothing - I assume this is the same other than hushmail is offshore / closed without a Subpoena which is fine as the main concern is opportunists and people who would like to steal innovative ideas (even the local government or people working for people with access)

One option for the email is just to sign only, and testing has shown me the addressee will get an attachment smime.p7s - what is this and is it helping? Does it stop the email sending as text? Does it destruct if its intercepted on its way to the addressee?

The second option is to sign and encrypt - This tells me to download or ask for certificate - I understand the concept but not ownership. Is this something I should give to the addressee either verbally or is it a file? Is it something they have already or do I give them one to match mine?

The third option is to sign, encrypt and sign - Again not sure about the basics of what this is and how it differs from the above.

Can you help me with a link or a brief explanation.

Thanks Zen

2. zenapp

zenapp Registered Member

Can anyone help with this please?
    Thanks Z

3. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I've never seen those mentioned here, so I don't think many will respond.

Signing a message proves it comes from you. Encrypting is, well, encrypting so only you and the recipient can read it. It seems to be using SMIME. Most people here use PGP through Gnu Privacy Guard (GPG) and most avoid Hushmail after they stated they would and did, give up a customer and would serve you malware to do so.

PD

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

There are no dis-benefits if you don't lose your password. Hushmail is also kinda just like regular old Gmail with an extra subscription fee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.