The Anticipated App Conflicts With XP SP3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Perman, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I d/l that sp3 RC1 and installed onto one machine, immediately I have encountered problems with apps such as DefenseWall 2.09 (I use IE).

It seems to me that DW has treated more applications(folders/files) from SP3 as untrusted. By the same token, I would anticipate the same with other security apps(especially, HIPS). The dev of ProSecurity has confirmed the problem with v 1.40. Any others ?

Take care.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In keeping with $M tradition, users should expect conflicts and especially where concerns their security programs. Looks like the security vendors might be tasked again with revamping yet again their products to line up with compatibility to this SP3, which i for one won't give a moment't thought to taking the risk of ruining an already well-oiled and efficient XP Pro system with either SP1/SP2.

3. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

When XP SP3 will be publicly released, I'll check very carefully every single function with it for compatibility issues. In fact, MS did added some additional techniques there. At least, XP SP2 was very different inside from XP SP1.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I often wonder why, when MS releases one of their damned SP's, some things that worked beautifully before no longer functioned without problems.

A nice non security example was my favorite old WordPerfect word processor. It was built for Win 98, but worked perfectly in Win XP. I never had a problem with it until I installed SP2. Then, it began freezing or crashing and, ultimately, I abandoned it. BUT, I didn't go to MS for a replacement. I went with Star Office, and now use OO 2.3.

Download SP3? No way, no how will I. I just don't trust Micro$oft to do the job right. I have a box of software stored away, full of various apps that won't work with XP sp2. I still go through the box occasionally and debate putting it out for the trash, but haven't yet.

5. appster

appster Registered Member

I agree with Chuck. I do play around with beta apps, knowing that I can easily rollback (Rollback Rx) to a pre-installation point. But the only way I would mess with a beta (or even an RC) OS would be if it were running as a virtual machine. If I had a separate PC for testing (whcih I don't) that would be another story.

Happy New Year to All

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.