the Adblock project

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wherethebeef, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

RON

whoa, was about to deleted the install but then saw your post....thank you for the ever quick response......sure, why not, will take firefox for a dance around the room.....never installed it because of thinking sun java was needed......am not very fond of java

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I like the KISS method, it confirms my signature :cool:

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

lol, as Ron says, it's an old saying, and I just realised how it may have been interpreted, so sorry if yu thought I was referring to you in particular. :oops: but it is an old saying here in Aussieland and I guess pretty much in native English speaking countries :doubt:

but give TabMix a go Brian, you may like it, you can easily uninstall it from the Extensions tool, not like having to uninstall a full program. ;)

Cheers, TAS :)

4. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

Well Firefox was a no-go.......could not install adblock....appears java was needed for adblock.......an without adblock firefox is of no value to me.
    Java is on my OS just not enabled.....which should have been enough to install adblock......it could have wanted sun java....wont get it .....
    so thats my adventure with firefox....never got on the internet with it...an most likely wont ever try it again......a hosts file is not nearly enough for my needs....so will wait for the cows to come home and for firefox to add just a few more essentials. it amases me that in this day of browsers they still don't come with some really good blocking program installed. for those who use java and sun java this would not be a problem. but for people like me who dislike and distrust java thats not an option.

my thanks to everyone for your help.

5. Tassie_Devils

hi wherethebeef,

Adblock from the actual Mozilla Update Site HERE is a no go also for me.

Only good from .7+ to .10+ or bit less.... I have tried to install Adblock on this PC and other, both running FF 1.07.10 Message comes up like pic......but....

IF you get AdBlock Plus 0.5.9 from WSFuser's link of http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=266291 then it install, which I have done.

I've also added the eXcessive AdBlock Filterlist.txt from ReZor, brilliant :)
    Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  6. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

TASSIE, thanks much..have download the one you suggested and will try it now. been a truely rough day with fail installs...will get back on this

wtb

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Sorry to mislead you before about the java thing. I was only messing around.

Hopefully you will get FF installed without any probs. :)

8. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

TESSIE

Nope. still wont work.....I get a scripting error when trying to install adblock........ms js error.........will call it quits for tonight but try again another time.

JAGUAR

No problem....lets all eat, drink (sodapop) and be merry....your comments were well taken....did not even question if you were sincere or not....but nope, can't seem to get firefox to do what its suppose to do.....it installs just okay.....the adons are the problem.......will work everything out later

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

maybe try a uninstall and reinstall of firefox.

10. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

WSFUSER

Thank you for your suggestion. Will give it a try. Have even re-download firefox. So far this has been a real disappointment. Will make one last attempt then call it quits. It appears to me that sun java would need to be installed for everything to work in harmony. Imo sun java is just not safe. Its wild and un-controlable which opens the OS to infection for those who don't use an anti-virus program or has it disabled by some nice friendly hacker. At least M$ java can be disabled by the User an that alone makes it safer than sun java. (the java applets can be disabled in M$ but not in Sun java) an thats one major security hole.

11. Tassie_Devils

Hi Wherethebeef....

As WSFuser says, try uninstall/reinstall... but first, before you reinstall, navigate to the Mozilla Folder and delete it, as your profile/settings may be corrupt in there. This is not the folder in Program files but rather here:

Uninstall then:
    C:/Documents and Settings/xxxxxx[user you installed under]/Application Data/Mozilla Folder Delete it.
    Reinstall.

hth, Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

12. Trooper

Tassie's idea would be my next suggestion as well. The profile could be corrupt perhaps.

Are you using Windows XP? Are you using an admin or limited user account?

Jag

13. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

tassie and jag

can not locate that folder...(this particular computer is win98se)....dug threw the registry and system......that folder is there some where because the 2nd time firefox was installed the Setting were the same as I had tweaked them on the previous install...........this is very unusual for me not to locate a file or folder......

going to shut down and try for the fourth time. An last.

you guys have been just swell with your offers of help. Thank you.
    Will return the favor if ever I can.

14. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

The fourth attempt at installation has failed. Have tryed about everything posible plus all the suggestions given in this thread an still get that script error.
    The computers security blocks any attempt to install java script but that was dis-abled an not the problem Adblock just wont install due to that error
    Firefox appears really nice but guess I will never know how well it works. Will have to put that on my Christmas wish list. Until then I wont try any more installs of firefox.

15. imbasic

imbasic Guest

Don't give up yet.:)

The mozilla folder is located in your windows/application data folder. See image.

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot0028on.jpg

Make sure firefox is not running then delete the whole folder. Launch firefox and it will create a new mozilla folder. Which will create a new profile for you.

I am running W98SE and have been using firefox for several years now. I have ad block plus installed. I have only one plugin installed for firefox. No flash, java, or whatever other than my download manager plugin.

I am wondering how you have been trying to install ad block plus? Have been clicking the install link? Or have you been downloading to a folder on your hard drive then clicking and dragging to your open firefox window.

If you have been clicking on the install link then you should be aware that firefox only has a coulpe of sites whitelisted to install software. This can be found by clicking tools in the firefox browser then options then click web features in the options panel and you will see a radial box with allow websites to install software next to it. Next to that is a box that says allowed sites. Click on that and a window will open that will allow you to add or remove sites.

I have this disabled myself. I only install extensions locally by clicking and dragging.

Hopefully you will try again. You might enjoy firefox. I know I do.

16. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

imbasic

Thank you for giving of your time to reply. Your link would not open for me but I knew what you were referring too an DID locate and remove TWO folders related to firefox. Thank you.

ok, maybe you by chance have located my problem. What I have been doing is downloading Adblock to the desktop (in a folder) then just clicking on that little script that is labeled "install"....not the dos one.........after reading your comments this seems to be not the right way to install adblock.
    have already deleted firefox and company but will download it again an see if I can install adblock by way of firefox tools..........man, this has turned into a real fulltime job LOL

17. Tassie_Devils

Hi wherethebeef... glad you are sticking to it mate.

Now, if you had trouble in past trying to install Adblock direct from the site, this is what I do.

Right click on the extension from the site and select Save Target [or whatever it is in IE, I forget], then actually download it to the desktop.
    Open FF's Extension window, minimise the main window of Firefox so yu can see both the downloaded file and the Extension window, then simply click on the downloaded file, hold and drag it onto the window.

This will start to load, or it will ask do you want to install, I just forget, then you have the option and it will install, but you then need to close the extension window, then close Firefox and restart it for it to take effect.

see pic.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

18. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

TAS

ok, thanks for the instructions....I was definitely doing it wrong....lets see if I can get this right this time....got firefox download.....will now download adblock.....an go for the gold...........will let you guys know how this goes..

19. Trooper

Definitely keep us posted. :)

20. Wherethebeef

Wherethebeef Guest

SUCCESS......yes your patient help has added yet another to the history of the wilders forum history.........atta way to go guys!!

Everything is installed and working.....well, that would be firefox, adblock and the block list. Have not got to the Tabs as yet.

What..firefox has no "HISTORY" ..to be more specific...no history that sticks around after its closed. Looks like I will be in the newbees learning mode for a while with firefox.

one small question: is it normal for firefox to take over a minute to "load" ?
    That seems a rather long time.....oh yes, a stronger block list....got to locate a stronger block list.......my person list wont install....will try to find a way around this.

GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED AND ASSISTED IN THIS QUEST.........MUCH THANKS TO YOU

21. imbasic

imbasic Guest

Your welcome,:)

Glad to help.

Now for tabs there are several different extensions to chose from depending on your preference.

The one I like is Tabbrowser Preferences. Has enough options to turn firefox into a single window tabbed browser like it should be and is advertised to be.

http://216.55.161.203/theonekea/tabprefs/

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=112&hl=tabbrowser preferences

Tab Mix extension has most all of the bells and whistles.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2291&hl=tabmix

Tab Mix Plus has all the bells and whistles plus a little more. Same as link for Tab Mix just scroll down a little more. Or..

http://tmp.gary.elixant.com/

Both of these extensions mess with the appearance the tabs in my favorite theme so I don't use them.

Theme I use.

http://skypilot.projectit.com/

Tabbrowser Extensions I will only give a mention to since it is a extension for tabs. I have had some nightmares with this extension. So have quite a few others. Tab mix is pretty much a cleaner version with most if not all the same options.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=111&hl=tabbrowser extensions

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en

That gives you some extensions to play with and decide which is best for you. Be careful if you install Tabbrowser Extensions it can mess up your profile.

To set your history go to the firefox menu click tools then options then click on Privacy in the options panel then click History.

It is fairly normal for firefox to take a while to load yes. From what I understand it is because it is not embedded in the system like IE.

Firefox Preloader a tool to help make firefox load faster.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/

Have not used this tool yet myself so I can't tell to much about it.

You might find a more comprehensive blocklist here.

http://p2.forumforfree.com/adblockplus.html

A couple of good sites to browse for extensions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application={ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?act=portal

That aught to keep you busy for a while. :biggrin

Have fun.

22. Beef/it/up

Beef/it/up Guest

imbasic

Those links will be just great...thank you for all the time and effort you gave........sincerely appreciated.

It seems that another poster has decided to use my Nic....guess someone here does not like me for some reason although I don't know of anyone that I have offended....but no matter.....all is well.....
    Am not so sure if I will continue to post at this forum. If there is going to be someone trying to cause a problem then I would prefer to move on to another forum.
    You guys have been such a help. Could not have succeeded without you.

Heartfelt Thanks To Everyone

23. Tassie_Devils

whoo hoooo.... good on ya.

Now, to your questions: Loading, YES, it 'can' take a while to load, sometimes mine will load within 5-10 seconds, others, longer.

The difference being is browser speed. FF for me is infinitely faster when browsing, the speed is quite noticeable compared to IE and a lot of people say that [although some may ot notice, but overall it is].

History, yes it has history, you need to have a very good look thru the Tools/Options, click on each sub-menu to check out what can be done, especially under Privacy Tab.

Privacy Tab you have a range of things to change if needed, and in history you can set the number of days to keep history like in IE.

Hint: Under Cache, change the size of the default [I think the default was 50000 kb] and since I cannot get ADSL [dialup only where I live] then I increased the size of cache. Of course if you are on cable/ADSL/broadband, then that's a moot point. ;)

It will take you days to look it over thoroughly and things you don't understand, leave alone until you do.

If you want to see the inner workings of FF, in the Address bar, type 'about:config' [without quotes] and have a look there. Don't change anything unless you know what you are doing.

Now, when you see the normal type, those are the defaults, and anything that has been bolded would have been changes you made in the Options fileds somewhere.

Hint for security: Still in the Options window, click Downloads, then 'Plug-Ins' under Filetypes window, you will see the default filetypes which will automatically open/play when you click on a link, those are marked with a tick.

If you click on the 'tick', it changes to an asterik [ * ] which then will cause the file to be actually downloaded/saved so it can then be screened by any security tools you may have like AV/AT/Spybot/AdAware, etc.

Of course, RTM of any of those apps 'should' alert to any possible malware, but I like to manually download everything first and scan then open/play, especially Windows Media type files, as I have WMP completely disabled apart from me going to it, then choosing Open File thru it to play.

Then when you click on a link of a filetype you have disabled, the download window will come up, and gives you the choice then of choosing to 'Always take this action of this filetype' and it will then put that filetype into the Filetypes window where you clicked on the Plug-Ins button, which is blank by default.

Anyhow, have fun. :D

Cheers, TAS

edit: PS: Why don't you 'Register' here at Wilders, get a nick that cannot be copied, it's free/painless/nothing personal stored unless you want it to be.
    That way, you can continue to enjoy the pleasure of our company. :doubt: :D :) :rolleyes: :D :p

Attached Files:

24. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Firefox will also cache most images, which IE does not. (most of the times).
    Yes it can take a little longer to load, but trust me, you'll see improvements in speed very soon ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.