the 2 questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by computer geek, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

It seems like a shady deal to me. Thanks for looking into it Frisk.

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

As i said yesterday already that's a bullshit press release. The headline states that they switched away from KAV OEM Engine (because it costs more money per license than Authentium) and then they wrote:

LOL?

The point of a faked "own developed technology" is an old "business trick". Has 3 real purposes:

1. To statisfy investors and to have some reason for spending money/resources on "Research and Development" (that applies to most companies...) Nearly half of the investors do not have the technical knowledge or the methods to verify that something was really developed "in-house". And frankly, even if they come behind the "trick" and it sells who cares?

2. To let the product look more "interesting" to the ordinary users, since you can claim whatever you want if your "own" technology is included because nobody can lookup the real facts. (You can do that with OEM SDK sheets ofc)

3. Because Marketing/Sales said so to do so. Means also they don't have any real world expierence in that business since the "Secret" flies away when the product gets tested by someone (organisation etc) who knows how to determine that. Embarrassment and trouble is pre-programmed with such behavior.

I do agree with Fridrik that it's only a good thing that they don't brag with "Powered by F-Prot" and then using an old, obsolete version. But tbh towards to their costumers that's not a nice "move".

Mike

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  3. flyrfan111

Couldn't agree more Mike, and thanks again for looking into it, I know you guys are busy. Hopefully we have enlightened a few people at least to stay away from the product.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Thanks for clarifying. Now we know what the iolo av is powered by.

5. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

So summing up, iolo is powered by f-prot 3 which has poor detection rates compared to the recent ones, i don't really fancy it...

6. flyrfan111

Correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.