That TCP/IP reset thingy?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Cosmo32, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

I've read lots of threads here on this forum (since 02/2007). For a variety of proplems, it is often suggested to:

Click Start
    Run
    cmd <enter>
    netsh winsock reset<enter>

I sorta think I know what is going on, but would like some guru to explain the what and why this needs to be done.
    I do rate Winsock repair in the first order!

I might need to do this to my very old LAN clients/servers (old like ~2000-2001). Buto_O I do not wish to reinstall my absolutely wonderfull Nod32EE which seems to be working completely in the background automagically. Superb application! Wish Windows could be so good........:D

Looking for a little bit of background, or, nuts and bolts. Feel free to PM me if need be.
    Best,
    Duncan

2. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Many utilities out there which do the netsh reset as a little easy to use GUI....this is the one I've used for many years..I keep it on my USB thumb drive bag of tricks for working on PCs.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/WinSock_XP_Fix/winsockxpfix.html

All it does is remove the old files..and reinstall them with fresh virgin files. Prior to XP...you could do this by removing/uninstalling TCP/IP in the OS's protocols section of network components, replacing it by another protocol such as IPX or NetBEUI, rebooting, and then adding it again...and removing your substitute protocol (IPX/NetBEUI)...rebooting one last time.

Malware can often infect the TCP stack/winsock files of a computer. Many times..injecting DNS redirects..so your requests go to ad servers instead. Various way they infect the TCP stack and winsock files...can negatively impact how a PC runs.

You can run this utility many times in a row without any negative repercussions on the PC.

Any PC that I work on, which has some sort of malware, I automatically run this tool as standard practice, just in case the malware did anything that touched the TCP stack/winsock.

Running this utility will not make your re-install your AV product.

4. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Thanks De Hollander,
    I went and got the article. Every little bit of knowledge helps. It seems focused to WinXP. Perhaps I can find similarities to W2Ksp4.o_O

I have only 1 XP machine, and, it is enough different from my W2Ksp4 experience with all my other machines, I still scratch my head after each XP learning exchange...:D
    Best,
    Duncan

5. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Thanks, YeOldeStonecat!

I will go and investigate this link. I have heard about it from other techs off this forum.;)
    Yes, yes, yes! I do remember this dance in W95/OSR2/W98/W98SE! Since moving up to W2K, I can not recall a single problem with TCP/IP. I suppose I really asked because I have changed my IP addy's many times over the last several years and suspected that I may have created some corruption in my winsock stacks. But, as all machines just sit here and seem to work, maybe not.:doubt:
    Is there any tool/test I can do locally to investigate how good or suspect my winsock stacks are? (well, short of arcane programming I know I can not read...;) )
    Ok, this is the critical info I was missing. Now, the puzzle for me is solved.:thumb: This makes sense. Thank you.
    OK. That seems to answer why the 'netsh' pops up so often in many repair suggestions. I'll give Nod32EE the nod for keeping the machines as clean as possible of malware.

Nice to also know that stack fixing does NOT require an AV re-inslall. I was beginning to form that link with any use of the 'netsh' tool/process. Thank you again for another complete answer.
    Best,
    Duncan

6. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

:thumb:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285034

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.