Thank you Wilders! (CWS.Searchx removed)

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by meelWORM, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meelWORM

meelWORM Registered Member

I have been battling with a CWS varient for almost a month now! I have downloaded 9 different programs in my attempts to remove it, with no long-term success.

Finally, yesterday, I found your site and read through many different threads of people with the same problem. Ultimatly, the thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=28658 was the most useful to me.

I downloaded Find-All, and found the culprit to all of my problems was C:\WINDOWS\System32\WDMPLI.DLL. I downloaded CopyLock to rid myself of this file. After I rebooted, I found that the AppInit_Dlls key in my registry had the culprit file listed (until this time, it had always been blank), so I cleared it.

I am now happy to report that everything is back to normal! I would like to extend my thanks to all the people at Wilders who made this information available!

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I am glad it has worked for you

Many people have this problem and what works for one isn't working for another one

as an extra backup to help stop it coming back try this
    to see if we can prevent the cws hijackers reinfecting you try this
    a workaround seems to be install a good firewall, lists here http://www.wilders.org/firewalls.htm if you haven't already got one and block these ranges of ports, both incoming and outgoing 209.66.114.0-209.66.115.255 and 81.211.105.0-81.211.105.255 and 213.159.117.0-213.159.118.255
    that stops the known cws servers responding or the hidden files on your computer updating. This works sometimes but not always, but it's a help. The problem with this approach is that some good sites might also be blocked ( not may as all the IP numbers are in Russia and very few russian sites have much relevance to most people)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.