Thank you Acronis!!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by truthseeker, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I lost GRUB on my external HDD that was needed to boot Linux.

But I restored the MBR created by Acronis TI 11 :)

I am so happy that TI is such a great product.

THANK YOU ACRONIS FOR HELPING ME AGAIN OUT OF A STICKY MESS.

One quick question...... Is it possible to use TI to clone a partition on my C: over to one of my external HDD? Or can it only clone the whole HDD and not just individual partitions?

2. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

A clone can only be for an entire hard disk, but you can image a single partition and restore that to any other drive.

3. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

So how would I make the that new partition bootable?

For example, I want to make an exact image of C: to my external D: and make the D: boot Windows Vista exactly like C: does.

Any ideas?

4. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Not really my field, though I believe you can image your System Drive to a different drive and it should be bootable provided you change the BIOS boot order first, or get a boot manager.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If you want to make an external drive bootable with Windows on it be prepared for a long struggle. It would involve going through more hoops than are found at a dog agility class. It happens that Windows is not normally bootable from an external drive even though a modern computer may provide USB booting possibilities.

Xpilot

6. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

I believe that when your restoring a single Partition there is an extra window that asks you what type of partition do you want it to be when restored; active, primary or logical. To make it boot able; select Active. (by default what type it was when backed-up is selected).

BTW there is a very good description of each selection in the wizard so you won't go crazy.

Personal Experience: I occasionally restore only the C: partition on a brand new HD, set it to Active (without restoring the MBR) and it should work like it does for me. I even have the option to resize that partition or leave unallocated space behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.