Thank you Acronis!!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by truthseeker, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I lost GRUB on my external HDD that was needed to boot Linux.

But I restored the MBR created by Acronis TI 11 :)

I am so happy that TI is such a great product.

THANK YOU ACRONIS FOR HELPING ME AGAIN OUT OF A STICKY MESS.

One quick question...... Is it possible to use TI to clone a partition on my C: over to one of my external HDD? Or can it only clone the whole HDD and not just individual partitions?

2. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

A clone can only be for an entire hard disk, but you can image a single partition and restore that to any other drive.

3. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

So how would I make the that new partition bootable?

For example, I want to make an exact image of C: to my external D: and make the D: boot Windows Vista exactly like C: does.

Any ideas?

4. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Not really my field, though I believe you can image your System Drive to a different drive and it should be bootable provided you change the BIOS boot order first, or get a boot manager.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If you want to make an external drive bootable with Windows on it be prepared for a long struggle. It would involve going through more hoops than are found at a dog agility class. It happens that Windows is not normally bootable from an external drive even though a modern computer may provide USB booting possibilities.

Xpilot

6. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

I believe that when your restoring a single Partition there is an extra window that asks you what type of partition do you want it to be when restored; active, primary or logical. To make it boot able; select Active. (by default what type it was when backed-up is selected).

BTW there is a very good description of each selection in the wizard so you won't go crazy.

Personal Experience: I occasionally restore only the C: partition on a brand new HD, set it to Active (without restoring the MBR) and it should work like it does for me. I even have the option to resize that partition or leave unallocated space behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.