TF4 and CIS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by IceCube1010, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi

I've been playing around with Comodo Internet Security package and installed TF 4.0. Is this overkill? Would Defense + catch anything TF would catch? I thought since the AV in CIS is not quite there yet, TF would back it up so to speak.

Anyone using the two together?

thanks
    Ice

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i can say that comodo is very good,ligth and strong protection,but i can not say same thing aboutthreatfire:D

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I can't say that (or the reverse of that) about either of them. Don't have the experience to tell.
    I can say that I believe, in my case, the extra layer of security my PC gets through having TF running is well worth the modest RAM cost. But I don't have D+.
    In the OP's case, it seems to me that there would be rather a lot of overlap. Both applications monitor similar types of behaviour. I don't know for sure if one looks after more than the other, or guards different areas. But think it likely that adding a behaviour blocker to D+ will increase the protection- if it increases it at all- by only a very small amount.
    If you have D+ set up correctly, and know how to answer prompts, yes, it probably is overkill.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Don't do this if you have D+ enabled...

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I had them both installed but it seems TF 4 was slowing down my system.
    I don't know if it was related to CIS or that would have been TF's behaviour even installed alone.

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

TF in my PC eats more CPU time than Comodo and adds a bit of a lag in browsing. But it's very useful.

7. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

thank you for all the feedback. I haven't noticed any slow downs from browsing. It does eat more cpu time but runs light on my rig (Vista Home, ie8, 2G ram, dual core 3G cpu). I was looking at the aspect of the black list TF uses. If the AV part of CIS does not catch the malware would TF and its black list add more security. I will leave it on and see if I can find any pitfalls. I know at one time there had been a keylogger issue that someone pointed out. I have tried some keylogger tests and CIS seems to catch them before TF. I left TF at its default setting and CIS I put the FW in Safe mode and D+ in Safe mode. I am also monitoring everything with D+.

thanks again
    Ice

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Assuming that you asnwer correctly the D+ prompts, my doubt is what happens if you install something that contains malware (not knowing about it of course) and put D+ in installer mode. Will it protect you? I suspect not. In such a case, i think TF will on the contrary be your only salvation...

But i am not sure about how D+ handles "installation mode".

9. thathagat

thathagat Guest

hello .........can CIS and Avira free version be used together instead of TF..?

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Sure, if you don't install the antivirus part of CIS.

11. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.