Text Only Interface for Boot Disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sierraipa, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sierraipa

sierraipa Registered Member

Hi,

I am evaluating TI 8.0 Server. I am having trouble getting the full version boot CD to load properly on a somewhat old Compaq Proliant Server 1850R.

The safe version boots fine, but then, there is no network (no Computers near me, and no method to access network card in the tools menu).

I have tried acpi=off noapic as well to no effect. Also, I have removed the "quiet" from the startup parameters. When I did that, I see that the boot hangs at:

Checking for graphics mode...
    Detecting mouse...<hangs right here>

I have tried plugging in a different mouse. I seem to recall a year or so ago having some issue installing Mandrake Linux on this server using the graphical install tool. It worked okay when I used the text install tool. But I never could get X to run. Always hung when starting graphics. Could there be a compatibility issue with the graphics card? Has any one else seen this?

Is there a way to use the TI boot disk in text only mode? Any ideas on why the safe version works fine graphically (no network), but not the full? By the way, my network card is a netelligent 10/100TX PCI embedded UTP/AUI controller.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
    Kevin

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Have you tried with no mouse plugged in? (you can use the keyboard for navigation)

3. sierraipa

sierraipa Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, wdormann.

I just tried booting with the full disk with no mouse plugged in to no avail.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Is it a PS/2 mouse? Perhaps you could try disabling the PS/2 port in the BIOS as a troubleshooting step. It's a wild guess, but if something other than the PS/2 port is using IRQ 12, that could potentially cause problems.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sierraipa,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software for Server.

Please disable your mouse and try to boot your computer (with no mouse plugged in) from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Send the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette to support@acronis.com alomg with the link to this thread and indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva. Please also let we know the model name of your mouse and its interface.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.