tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sjoeii, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I'm just wondering.
    I see all those detection tests coming by. All the great vendors and products are tested.
    I see detection rates between 85% and 99,95%, wow. Sounds great.

But it all does not mean a thing if these detected samples can't be cleaned!!
    How are all these so called great products doing on a machine filled with malware?

I did some small tests with some products and to be honest most of them really suck!!!
    I would to see the vendors do something about that!!

Best regards,

Sjoeii

2. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Computer technicians would be out of commission if AV cleans it perfectly.:eek:
    Have you noticed that they all use a variety of removal tools (see DSLReports.com) to combat the infections. It's not easy but I agree that cleaning should be improved.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

The cleaning should be done by the products as well. not just by a seperate tool.
    What does F-prot do about it?

4. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Well there are lots of malware that try to bypass and kill AV process. As I mentioned earlier, AV alone cannot clean the infection depending on how complex the infection is. There are better products that do this.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Offtopic...

Only if you have the habit of installing AVs after the infection.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

tests tests and even more tests,

a perfect world would be no tests, everyone happy and no debates. :D

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The major brands tend to clean the best, the boutique brands the least.

What I find more puzzling is how some AV's get 97% on one test and 90% on the next while others score consistently. By the way, these would be tests from respected labs. (Excluding the multi engine products which always score high.)

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Some products dont need to be tested.;)

9. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

My experience is that the big names are not good in cleaning. Or even better they suck!!!
    As I said I did some testing and only these passed:
    ->Panda
    ->Kaspersky
    ->Avira
    ->NOD32 v3

Who Failed?

--> Norton
    --> McAfee
    --> NOD32 v2.7
    --> Trend 2008
    --> BitDefender 2008
    --> Outpost SS 2008
    --> F-Secure 2008

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

so is kaspersky as good as some say with removing things?? i always hear how good it is but then on this site i hear mixed reviews... ?? thanks

11. risl

risl Registered Member

Did you try this cleaning in safe mode? Should always do this in safe mode so that these "av killers" can't interfere ..unless they just simply delete your av folder or s, but then there is dr.web cure it :)

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

While i share in the bereavement that "big names are not good for cleaning", perhaps you could better elaborate or in common layman's terms be as so kind to point out those that you found best at this difficult task.

FWIW, NOD32 saved my rear end in cleaning as best it was able all the executables that were fudged by the Parite file infector virus i was researching a few weeks ago. If one was so fortunate as myself to happen to just have as part of their PC structure the genuine Raxco version of FD-ISR "AND" beforehand archived snapshots (systems) to an isolated HD, 100% complete recovery became a reality short of resorting to some image, provided one was made, which i didn't have.

Nod32, was able to effect enough of a partial "cleaning" that 2 systems were accessible. Not exactly a high mark in cleaning i agree, but thru XYPloyer i was able to transfer important programs of which a large degree of them were indeed "purged" of the forced code Parite wrote into them that they are functional to this day.

Bottom Line: This virus "cleaning" borders on rocket science and as i see it, no AV is 100% capable to fully restore an infected file unless of course it first has duplicated all of them and stored them to what's commonly referred to as a virus restore database.

13. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Tested them all on a liv machine in regular mode

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Interesting that most are ones you are positive about, or beta test anyway. To prove this, as soon as I saw you had Avira listed I smelled a fluke.:thumbd:

15. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

what about avast? isn't avast in that test?

16. risl

risl Registered Member

Yes.. if a virus process is running you can't always delete it unless the antivirus can kill the process first. Some antiviruses just say that it will be deleted on reboot. Same happens if some program that is running, is using a virus file or some virus code has been injected to many running processes. This causes some antiviruses to fail in cleaning unless being in safe mode(when the virus file can be deleted without any problems since it's not active)

17. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I see what you mean but I tested all in same environment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.