Testing Security Setups

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LoneWolf, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I have a question I hope some of you people can answer.I have Rollback Rx installed and was wondering if it is possiable to have more then one security setup on one PC. example would be one snapshot of LNS,NOD32+BOClean and having another snapshot of Kaspersky IS,BOClean+Anti executable.I know having more than one FW or AV on your PC will cause conflic's but being not really there but on another snapshot,will it work for testing differant setups? If you can without any problems, is there a limit to how many you can have?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I use FD-ISR not Rollback, but being similar programs, then yes you can use different snapshots for different security setups.

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Sure you can;) ,

At a moment last year, I had 80/100 snapshots, based on a total of 15 or 20 differents setups, some with different versions of the same program (AV/firewall, etc). Never had any problems.

Cheers,

nicM

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Practically speaking, when using Rollback Rx Pro the number of snapshots will be limited by your available disk space. Insofar as using RB for your intended purpose, that works as long you keep in mind that when you restore any snapshot older than your current snapshot, you 'lose' all updates subsequent to that older snapshot. Of course, those updates are captured in subsequent snashots and RB facilitates merging more recent file updates (e.g., email) into the older snapshot, but not subsequent program updates!

Finally, this may be obvious but consider it a reminder. RB's default setings (at least RB v7) automatically deletes unlocked snapshots that are older than 7-days, so be sure to change that default setting and/or lock all snapshots you don't want to lose!

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Sure can. I use VMWare and also have FDISR. Before now I have done testing with many firewalls and configurations for example. As said by pvsurfer the only restriction is space.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

And FDISR requires alot of space, because EACH snapshot has its own Operating System and Applications. That's why it can be used as a multi-bootable system, containing Win2000pro, WinXPhome, WinXPpro and WinVISTA, one snapshot for each Operating System. Of course FDISR can also work with one operating system with the same or different configuration in each snapshot according your needs.
    FDISR has maximum 10 bootable independent snapshots (minimum 2) and an unlimited number of archived snapshots, which can be stored on an external harddisk.
    One important thing : FDISR works only for the partition [C:] and ignores any other partition and all bootable snapshots (max. 10) have to be stored on partition [C:], you cannot move bootable snapshots to another partition.

If Windows + Applications = 5gb, you will need :
    - minimum 5gb x 2 snapshots = 10gb
    - maximum 5gb x 10 snapshots = 50gb
    You can reduce the needed space with about 25%, if you work with compressed snapshots.
    Don't forget the space of your personal data, which is not included in the calculations.

So you can test any security software apart or any security software combination with FDISR.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.