Testing Restore Procedure

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LenC, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I am a new user - I have installed TI9 on home computers and have created recovery files on external USB hard drives. I have validated those recovery files running off the recovery CD, so I think I'm in good shape.

However, I've never actually reimaged my hard drive. I'm hesitant to do so - if there's a problem, I don't have the expertise to reinstall windows and rebuild from scratch. Prior to TI, I had problems- and wound up talking with half of India (Dell computers) to get them resolved. I really don't want to cause a situation where I wind up meeting the other half (of India).:D

It occurs to me - I have two external hard drives. Could I hook them both to the computer and recover from one external to the other external - just as a final validation? I would then just reformat the target drive and use it again for storage.

If the answer to that question is yes, do I have to be concerned after the test restore is completed that I have two hard drives hooked to the computer with windows on it (my hard drive and the external drive)? I've read in other threads that can cause a problem "confusing windows". Do I have to do anything special like turn off the computer immediately or disconnect the target drive?

Thanks,
    Len

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Probably should hav named this thread "testing restore procedure"

~ Have changed the thread title for you ~ Menorcaman

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  3. jsolo

jsolo Registered Member

To the OP,

I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but most dells have a built in recovery/restore process.

It's not the best in the world, but it works relatively automatically and without much user intervention to bring the machine back to the out of box state.

It's activated by pressing the ctrl + F11 combination. This process only works with the left control key, not the right. Also, you must press this combination while the dell logo and/or dell blue bar at the top is displayed.

I've had luck pressing these keys in 1/2 second intervals from the time I start the machine up. If you miss and windows starts loading, let it finish, then do the restart function and try again.

If you're still unsuccessful, the recovery partition might be missing or damaged.

-----------
    It occurs to me - I have two external hard drives. Could I hook them both to the computer and recover from one external to the other external - just as a final validation? I would then just reformat the target drive and use it again for storage.
    -----------

Indeed you should be able to do this. As for booting, you will have to set your system to boot from the usb connected drive. If it's a dell, you could try the f12 key and select usb device.

The real test of course is to ensure the restoration process works when booting off the internal drive.

By booting from the external drive, I don't think there would be any modifications done to your original internal drive.

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I don't want to boot from the external drive - I just want to test the restore process. Can I do that?

5. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Just about all computers have a recovery procedure.
    If your computer is more than few months old, that procedure usually is utterly useless, because of "out of the box state" be it Windows98, Windows XP-SP1, or even XP2, but all patches missing, all applications you need missing, all settings missing, a major pain in the neck. Takes a month to get the computer back to what it should be. And another month to get rid of stuff that gets installed and you don't want to have (OEM bloatware).

I assume he/she is trying to restore a recent backup image.

Ok, I never did the 2 drive job as proposed here, but I did, three times experimenting, restored successfully using the Acronis booting rescue CD and image on external drive. Backups on two drives were made with v10 and restored with v10. It was amazing to watch how smooth the process was.

While nobody can't guarantee you will not be talking to the other half of India :) if your image has been validated from the rescue CD mode once or twice, I would think you're safe. Repeat validation on the other external drive to make sure you REALLY have a good backup.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.