Testing Out AVG Suite Also

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Like others, i am trying AVG 7.5 suite for a while to see how it is. So far so good.

However, I only adjusted two settings so far. First, I scheduled a detailed complete test to run every week and then I adjusted Residential Shield to scan all files. Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for as far as adjusting settings? Anyone else who is using it, your feedback greatly appreciated and thanks. i guess what I am looking for is settings that might tighten the security of the program compared to the default settings. Thanks again.

Gary

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah sure, edit the complete test to scan all files (This can be done in advanced layout)

antipsam - high performance / more agressive
    firewall - block ICMP
    resident shield - scan all files / tick all apart from scan PUP's
    shell extension (Settings) - scan all files / untick scan active processes
    action to take - set to prompt user for virus and continue scanning for warnin

hope that helps a bit.

3. huntnyc

Thanks a lot and it helps a lot. but, what do you mean by tick all apart from scan PUP's?

And, where is the Firewall setting you mentioned?

Sorry for the followups but just not clear on these and thanks again.

Gary

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

resisdent shield, tick all but do not tick PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs)

in the firewall settings, you will see a TICK (green) nexto to ICMP network diagnostics, block it to X (red)

5. huntnyc

Yes, I found that and edited that rule to block it. And, thanks for clarification of all. So far this suite is running very light as you have previously indicated.

Gary

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep extremly fast... check your boot time? :) big difference, and apparently avg has vastly improved, cant wait to see the next on demand result, the next one from av comparatives is only the retrospecitive one :doubt:

glad your enjoying it at the moment,

7. huntnyc

Do you know if this suite also protects against Rootkit threats? I don't know much about those anyway but just curious.

Gary

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

9. huntnyc

Thanks and I will keep using it for a while and see how it goes.

Gary

10. huntnyc

@C.S.J

Regarding settings for Updates, did you do anything with that? Is there a way to adjust the frequency of updates? I am looking at the Scheduler but don't know which options to choose regarding the type of update task to set up. I am leaning toward recommended update schedule but just wondering if you made any adjustments to this and thanks again.

This suite is running so light compared to anything else I have used so far.

Gary

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just leave it on what its on.

if you like though, you can add another schedule for priority updates which is usually the signatures, to perform every hour if you like, simple to create this if you want to.

12. huntnyc

Thanks. I think I will do just that for good measure.

Gary

13. huntnyc

Just one negative I have found now with AVG suite is the cluky way it handles infected files sometimes. it will give you a choice to heal or move to vault and then you have to go to vault and manually delete them. I guess this is what you were driving at with the cookies thing. I really don't like this at all. Would like to have smoother deletion of viruses.

Gary

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i like this move to vault thing, as its safe in there and can be deleted anytime you like.

the vault can also be accessed from microsoft outlook, which is a nice option.

15. huntnyc

I guess since I am using TheBat! plugin from AVG, this is why I found it to be a little clunky but I see your point. Just would have to get used to it I guess. Still a fantanstic suite though.

Gary

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im 'hoping' they will fix the tracking cookie issue though, then i wont have any problems with it.

when it finds a tracking cookie, as im sure you now know huntnyc, it will pop up with the option to move to vault, then pop up again ... and again ... and again, shouldnt do this for just tracking cookies, they should be treated automatically as ewido anti-spyware did.

17. huntnyc

Agree with you on that. Will keep an eye on this. Might be tempted to at least test NIS 2007 but although improved, I really don't like Symantec as a company that much. And, still hanging out for either NOD32 3 or maybe KIS 6 but I am not thrilled about the firewall interface at all. Other than AVG right now, what else do you think is top notch to you? Thanks.

Gary

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you wont be dissappointed with norton IS 2007 either,

to be honest, when choosing what to buy, i was going through a crazy should i pick norton 2007 / avg or f-secure, i like all 3, i really do .. and all are great, but all do have faults at certain things as expected.

19. huntnyc

I guess it comes down to finding the one that runs well on your system, is well balanced in all areas and has the least number of "fualts" that you will be able to tolerate during the license period without taking too much away from enoying using the product.

Never tried F-Secure and might try Norton but AVG still looks good for now. Will continue to try it out and thanks.

Gary

Gary

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

was testing out the plugin for avg suite for email scanning in microsoft outlook.

turned off the suite completly, and tried to send the eicar virus to myself, the plugin popped up (not the program) saying it had a virus and had to block it.

nice to know the ms outlook plugin still operates when the program is not on.

21. huntnyc

Sounds very good. Don't use Outlook but I suppose it would work with TheBat! as well hopefully.

On F-Secure and Norton 2007, wht did you find to be their biggest negatives?

Gary

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

f-secure was boot time and scan speed but super security.

norton 2007, was a little basic... all options are configured after install, basically just install it and thats it, if i had to pick a negative, it would be the super long time it takes to install it.

23. huntnyc

Sounds like if I want to run something on both of my computers with no extra cost, Norton might be the one although i have not used it since 2003 version when i went to NOD32. Like NOD32 a lot but still looking for suite I can run on both machines. Have heard there is a limit on how many times you can install Norton and I am not fond of that at all. Thanks.

Gary

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avg is cheaper than norton, as nortons 3 pc licence is i think £79.99 GBP

but, yes there is a limit to how many times you can install it, if you went with norton 2007, id recommend:

partition your c: into (c: and e:)

install norton 2007
    create image using acronis
    and whenever you want a fresh start, restore from that image.

id recommend doing a fresh format, then install your programs and then norton, defrag and then create the image, so its a perfect fresh start whenever you want.

25. huntnyc

I hate to be concerned about those things with Norton but will think about it. Thanks.

KIS is very expensive and I think you can install on only one PC. My wife is seldom on the internet with her computer so I may just run free stuff on that machine anyway. AVG, Norton, F-Secure, KIS or NOD32. AVG still running very light here so far.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.