Testing of AVG Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by greenhorn113, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

Just a quick question have any of you tested the AVG Firewall on such sites as PCFlank.com?
    I have been searching for a cast iron firewall but I am afraid AVG is not the answer neither the Antivirus it was only when I scanned my computer with Bullguard 7.0 (Bitdefender av) that an infection was found.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Personally, no,... I will download and test.
    Please let me know if you find one, then you or I can let all members know
    Expectations, to evaluations, are unfortunatly not the same.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

AVG only has a basic firewall, its really designed for the average user who just needs an easy to use, unobtrusive security suite. I have tested the firewall and in term of leaktests its not to flash but then again its not designed to be. It keeps the bad guys out and gives you simple outbound control.
    If you are looking for cast iron firewall then outpost pro is your best bet.

4. greenhorn113

Hi,

Currently trialing Bullguard Internet Security 7.0 which incorporates Outpost presumable the pro 4.0 but Bullguard naturally say confidential info likewise which version of Bitdefender I just wanted to know if the free or paid for versions but that said on pcflank Bullguard is currently failing the browser test with 50% and is allowing referrals awaiting to hear from Bullguard on possible configurations.

I like AVG but that and Comodo faired badly on pc flank with the latter leaving ports open,I am no expert but want to be as secure as possible when online shopping,banking etc.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Iron-cast firewall - SmoothWall.
    You will need a separate machine - install SmoothWall on it. Separate machine becomes a highly configurable custom-made router. SmoothWalls comes with Snort IDS and all sorts of wonders. SmoothWalls pwns all.
    I will cook an article soon about it.
    Mrk

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Well, apart from the fact most home users will not have a spare PC,.... would you consider this firewall to be a "Iron-cast firewall" once the user had changed all the firewall settings to allow all the inbound for their P2P/torrent clients, games, chat programs etc,... and the possible fact that the config as been made incorrectly,... which is one of the main problems with most firewall setups.

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The browser test is nonsense at pc flank,and in my opinion is of no value or importance whatsoever.It fails you for accepting cookies and refferrers.Its easy to pass this test without any firewall at all.AVG firewall passes all the stealth tests at pc flank and shields up.Leaktests are another matter and you must decide whether you consider them important.I personally dont.If you are going to do online banking then a router is also recommended.
    ellison

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Stem, 99.9999999% of all problems come from people's stupidity. The rest are avalanches, earthquakes etc. Furthermore, people change computers every 3-4 years. No reason to throw away the old P3. It can always come handy.

Ellison, why do you need a router for online banking?

Mrk

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yeah, ignorance or stupidity are the main problems. But having the appropriate ruleset for any firewall requires extensive network knowledge and testing or debugging time
    Linux-based routers are a great thing, specially the UTM flavours like Endian or IPCop plus Copfilter

10. greenhorn113

I certainly don't claim to be an expert my point about Outpost in Bullguard was that Pcflank recommends the pro version as the most secure firewall that has passed all leak tests and presumably the browser test but to say the tests are a waste of time imo is wrong Zone Alarm pro correctly configured passed all 3 quick tests no problem but fell down on the leak tests thats why I am trialling Bullguard IS 7.0 a combo of Bitdefender (version ?) and Outpost Pro with the included live support to me seemed ideal but I can't understand why failing the privacy issues IF Outpost pro if not and the free versions of both the av and firewall no point paying.
    All I want is to be able to be secure when shopping,banking online etc I always wipe everything at the end of a session.

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Referrers can normally be blocked within the browser.
    An example for Firefox Refcontrol

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree totally with that ellison,

avg firewall does nothing fancy but keeps out the bad guys :)

and ive said on a number of times here on wilders, that firewalls should not be judged on leaktests, ...i also think the pcflank one is the worst of them all.

again, i agree with getting a router with built in firewall, its safe :)

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have been having a quick play with AVG firewall,.. it does go beyound "Basic" by the fact it is possible to set rules for local/remote ports per application. I am a little disapointed that these advance settings would not allow the inclusion of a remote IP, as for the config of DNS servers (for example).

For those who have not found these "Advanced" firewall settings:-

First change the applications rule to "Advanced"

Attached Files:

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Once the rule is set to "Advanced", double left click the application, and you can change the local/remote ports used: (just double left click on what rule you want to change):-

Attached Files:

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are a number of pre-defined rules (services), which can be added or removed (or edited) as required. In the example, I can select the Pop rule (mail) and move this rule over, which would then allow that application this connection.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.