testing keyhook.exe

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by voyantix, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voyantix

voyantix Registered Member

Greetings,

I downloaded keyhook.exe from the DCS site but it is
    only showing key presses when the keyhook app has the
    focus. If Notepad or Word have the focus, keyhook is not
    detecting the keypresses. I don't have the full version of
    PG just the free one.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Voy

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Voy

The keyhook.exe is just meant as a test so it wouldn't catch any key presses if you use any other program. Also with the free version of PG I don't believe it would work, as you need the advanced protections to protect from keylogging. keyloggers use keyboard hooks, and you need the global hooks protection for that.

Pete

3. voyantix

voyantix Registered Member

Hi Pete, thanks for your response.

Here is from the ProcessGuard help file:

"Case Example:.
    We've created a simple and safe keystroke recorder that you can use to test if keystroke recorders will work on your system (and unless your system is protected by ProcessGuard, they almost certainly will be able to record your keystrokes). This program can be downloaded at http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/keyhook.exe

When you run the demo, every key that you press in any program that has user32.dll loaded (most do) will be intercepted by keyhook.dll, which is the DLL file the Keyhook demo uses for the global keyboard hook, which is required by the SetWindowsHookEx function. At this point, all the Keyhook demo does is harmlessly display the key that was pressed......"

They clearly intend for this applet to function as a Global Hook to
    demonstrate PG (the full version). I realize that he free version would not
    help, but I still wanted to see the demo app work.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Voy

4. Peter2150

Hmm. Never tried as the point was to test the keyhook block. That was done with the actual keyhook program so I never tried to see if it would display anything from other programs. Might try it if I have time, but question is what difference does it make.

Pete

5. Peter2150

Just for grins, I tried using keyhook this way and you are right. But I don't have the dll in the system area, and that might make a difference, or whatever. No one ever tested that because it really doesn't matter. Only import issue with keyhook is it demonstrate that PG blocks the dll from being installed and thus prevents keylogging.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.