Testing email notification of threat

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by cthorpe, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

Is there a way to test the email notification of a threat? I set it up with the correct mail servers and all, but I would like to make sure it works so that I can get notification if my wife's laptop detects an infection. I tried using an eicar test virus, and NOD detected it as a threat but no notification was sent.

Thanks.

C

2. andrator

andrator Registered Member

Eicar should work. I still have the message in my trash bin:

NOD32: Virus Alert

28-6-2006 14:27:04 - AMON - File system monitor Program Virus Alert triggered on XXXXX: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Desktop\eicar.com infected with Eicar test file.

This was with NOD32 Enterprise. I don't know how to configure this on a single user license.

3. Jaska

Jaska Registered Member

You can test your email defences with Declude, which sends you different kind of threats, mostly eicar-test configured in various ways.
    http://www.declude.com/Articles.asp?ID=99

I have used it many times and the service is safe to use (no spamming etc.).

4. rothko

rothko Registered Member

When you set up email notification it asks if you want to receive a test notification, and like andrator said the eicar test virus can also be used to test your notification settings. It sounds like something isn't set up right - you could double check with your ISP that the smtp server and username and password is correct?

Lee

5. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

That's really weird... when I set up the notifications the first time, it didn't ask to send the test message. I went back cleared them and reset them and it did ask to send the test. All is well now.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.