Testing bodies AV‐Comparatives, AV‐TEST and Virus Bulletin comment on allegations of inappropriate

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FleischmannTV, Apr 30, 2015.

1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

maybe we should release an easy to understand report which shows some few tech details... so people understand that even if products are e.g. online for everyone to download (and nearly all testers do download/accept only products which are available publicly / on vendors websites), it is still possible to do various things.

@GakunGak: the previous analysis was a joint/collaborative analysis, so you can't say that one lab did not find something. What is now being analysed by AV-Test is something which seems to affect only their test setup (which other testers cannot know ofc).

2. tetsuo55

tetsuo55 Registered Member

What do you consider a trustworthy av vendor?

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Tarantula I don't see what the big deal is either.

4. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

5. Mattchu

Mattchu Registered Member

One thing i`m a bit bemused by is this.

"Qihoo participated with their 360 Antivirus (English) (http://sd.360.cn/download_center.html) which uses the Bitdefender engine but no QVM engine."

Then

"Therefore, the results of this test apply only to the tested products and not to any other products on any official website of these vendors."

So they knew exactly what was being tested, didn`t question why TS or TSE (them being the wildely used programs they have available on their website) was being tested and obviously didn`t seem to know the program very well or would have said something.

I`m not defending Qihoo, they shouldn`t have done this, but then again they shouldn`t have been able to do this!

6. tetsuo55

tetsuo55 Registered Member

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  7. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm aware of that and what they can do with the cloud...

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I frankly rather see the product I use be 3rd or 5th on the charts rather than being first and knowing they are fiddling with the scores...

10. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

11. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

@IBK I would like some clarifications:
    1: Why is there no internal check of supplied software to verify their integrity in the first place?
    2: Why were competing products passed, which did have similar flags as Qihoo, but passed just because they were at disatvantage? If the integrity differs from general usage, it should be disqualified, high scores or not.
    3: What is the financial contribution [fees and otherwise] between Qihoo, Baidu and Tencent?
    4: If the test was for international users, why is being tested version for Chinese majority market? Why not international one?
    5: If in case of AV-TEST instead of QVM there was BD/AV engine enabled, I would think they'd notice the difference by now. Here is their QVM only engine enabled and still scores good.
    http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus...-2015/qihoo-360-360-antivirus-qvm-5.0-150641/
    In your test, it was disabled, that is, Bitdefender was enabled. Is AV-TEST test I put link above invalid as well, and if so, why?
    6: Is in your Working Procedures a process described to verify integrity and determine if supplied software is genunine in nature, that is, no tampering?
    7: What is the procedure if a supplied software was caught with modifications? What happens then?
    8: Who audits you and when to determine if you comply with certification standards you possess?
    9: Who is external auditor and what is the frequency of audits?
    10: Who would be under strict monitoring from now on? Only Qihoo? Qihoo, Baidu and Tencent? Or ALL of the vendors participating? And in which tests?
    11: How will those checks being performed?
    12: When can we expect a more detailed and graphical report about this situation, with those flags of all three vendors? I trust you, but I trust my eyes more.

Thank you in advance :)
    P.S. You don't have to answer ANY of the questions, because I am not authoritative body, just a "deeply" concerned.... person....

EDIT: In order not to be misinterpreted, this was not a personal attack against ANY testing organisation whatsoever. No personal attacks will not/should not be coming from my side.
    If you feel affected, please report to me exactly where the issue is and will be corrected as soon as possible.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  12. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

I don't :)
    I would kindly ask for more details, if you please? I am willing to learn, I do that stuff every single day, even when I am right/wrong :)

13. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Qihoo isnt Iobit, dont spread FUD.

14. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Iobit 360 .... Qihoo 360 ... both Chinese - no connection? I was always under the impression that they were both products of the same company.

15. JimmyJames321

JimmyJames321 Registered Member

No connection at all !

How about Qi"hoo" and Ya"hoo", any connection ? A co-founder of Yahoo is also Chinese. : )

16. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Yes, no connection at all, maybe Chinese market like these kind of names (360 protection)

17. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Jerry Yang is Taiwanese,with the Chinese attitude to Taiwan I don't think he would like to be called Chinese!

18. ELWIS1

ELWIS1 Registered Member

I know that Qihoo did bad..but I don't know why here a lot posts hate other chinese products.
    I know a few Chinese people with the security industry and they are really cool people.

We can't impose an image that everything chinese is bad. It is very bad idea in my opinion.
    Someone once will read this thread, someone who knows little about the industry AV, etc. He immediately reject another Chinese product, which eg. not is now on the market.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's confine the discussion to the software only.

20. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

problem is that this thread isn't really about software it's about a company trying to cheat,so it's going to cover more than the software they produce

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great test results are good for marketing, which is probably why they do it so they can say "this is how good we are, why don't you start using our product instead ?". But it's not okey of any vendor to tweak their product so it looks good in tests only, rather improve the product overall so it benefits all users. Then use that product in the tests as well, no need to tweak it for the tests. I hope the testing orgs ban every vendor that have done wrong from future testing, they knew what they were doing so they don't deserve a second chance.

22. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I think what ronjor is trying to say is the thread should not get into a US vs THEM political contest.

23. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

This is about more than just changing which engines are used by default. From the document in the first post:

24. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Why isn't this enabled in the first place?

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.