Tested Several AV's

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I tested several AV's over the last week, AntiVir Personal Premium (Didnt like the Splash Screen (Personal Preference) starting up on my desktop when windows stats or I'd have bought a 5 year subscription. AVG 7.5 Did a Full System Scan with all the bells and whistles enabled, and it only scanned 57266 files, too few for a full system scan in my opinion. NOD32 I have a 2 yr subscription, but after reading the NOD32 forum, I kicked it out, it seemed too quiet, and never reported a virus, although after testing with other AV's I found out there was one. Kaspersky 6. I found to be very adequate, but rather expensive to buy, ( the pig squeeling noise when it murders a virus scared the crap outta me, I nearly fell of my chair once, cause i had the volume up when it did it!) and I couldnt find a 2 year subscription either. So it boils down to this....... I Got Myself BitDefender v10, as good as it gets in my opinion, regardless of anything else.
    To throw in a couple of extra security specs I got AVG Ant-Spyware 7.5, seems a reliable sort, and found a backdoor loader on first scan. I asked AVG and they kindly let me subscribe untill 2009:) As did Webroot Spysweeper I have that till 2009 also, and to tie up the parcel with fancy bows and ribbons, I have Outpost 4.0 on a Lifetime Licence.. Any feedback would be great, tell me what you think, and what you thought on other programs you tried and tested, and did, or did not like :thumb: or :thumbd:

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

shame, personally dont like Bit, did the beta, wish you had sent me a pm, I could get you a good deal on a 2 year license to Kas.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

And long term licenses, IMO, are not the way to go:thumbd: . You just never know what's going to happen.

4. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

For me security services like BD and Norton that think their product is the 'end all' product and advising you to remove 'other' software is just plain arrogant, and for that reason have been searching around since July, and frankly have found none that I really like... now what :rolleyes:

I keep bouncing between NOD32 and KAV, but really not happy totally with either of those. NOD has update issues despite the new servers - and KAV Beta has port issues with certain web-sites where you have to disable monitor of port80 or disable HTTP scans.. either way.. I feel like I'm losing protection there, or am I o_O

Right now:
    KAV 6.0 Beta 407 build WinXP SP2 WinDefender 650Mhz Athlon AMD/ 512Meg
    ATI 9500Pro Video/128meg

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont like suites that make you remove other software and say just use theres and thats why im getting rid of f-secure and gonna use nod32.
    f-secure doesnt like much software eiether and support say not compatible remove it f-secure is all you need.

6. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Exactly.

See TDS3.

See Ewido "Lifetime" license.

I'm sure there are others...

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Lifetime licenses are a gamble.

That's the only thing that matters in the long run.Your opinion and preference on what you want to run.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What AV were you using when AVG Antispy found the backdoor loader?

9. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Did I miss something about Ewido lifetime license?

Thanks,

Chris

10. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Regarding F-Secure AV, not the suite, I have experienced no conflicts, and the only other AV that has given me zero problems is Avast Home.

I realize that the suite may have additional conflicts, but I don't know. The F-Secure AV has AdAware as its AS module, so it is necessary to remove AdAware as the two might conflict.

The 2007 updates more efficiently than 2006, but that might be the result of changes in the server.

Jerry

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The silence of the ewido/AVG guys on this gives me the impression that all the lifetime licenses will be supported till next year at maximum, which is the Lifetime of ewido's last version (4.0). When AVG phases out ewido version 4.0, all lifetime licenses will go along with it.

Just my opinion, don't necessarily expect it to go that way. :)

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I will not be terribly surprised. However, if they go I will consider it about like gyms selling memberships while going bankrupt. While I cannot see inside anyone's head, I cannot believe that Ewido did not have any idea they would sell or were in trouble.

If the lifetime licenses are not honored at least for several years, I will consider it dishonest, and will not buy anything from AVG again. If they honored them for let's say 5 years, then I would not feel too badly.

Best,
    Jerry

14. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Exactly.

I find it troubling that they just happened to start selling “lifetime licenses” shortly before they agreed to be purchased.

Here is my direct accusation: I have a hard time believing that they were not already actively of the mindset that they were amenable to being purchased or merged with another entity at the time of the “lifetime license” sales.

Further, it is disingenuous at best that they won’t directly address this issue after being asked repeatedly.

If they do not come up with a reasonable approach to fulfilling their obligation to provide value for the promised product/service, I urge Paul Wilders to throw their sorry asses off this board.

I think the principle that only businesses that engage in ethical business practices can have a forum on this site must be paramount.

And there is a decent chance that like PestPatrol and Giant before them -- their product under the new ownership is not going to be a stand out product in the future anyway.

Signed,

Frank the frigg'in Perv

15. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Here's my take on several softwares I've tried, Nod32 is finicky, especially their update utility and I don't care how many update servers they put online I will never trust this program again, I'm done with Nod32. Kaspersky, I just do not like the software, every version I've ever tried has been buggy and caused issues, I found this software to be very annoying and frustrating to use and make work properly. Antivir, I feel is highly overrated, their website is confusing as well as their software, I did like the umbrella icon. The old F-prot was my standard for many years, the new version has been dumbed down with little to no configuration capability, useless in my opinion, regardless of the heuristics and detection. Then I discovered Dr.Web Antivirus, what a revelation that was, it does everything I need an antivirus to do, it has worked flawlessly for me, with performance and protecton, second to none, in my opinion. This has been my experience with various antivirus softwares over the last couple of months and my current choice is always subject to change.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am willing to let future actions speak for themselves. There may be good reasons why no response has been forthcoming.

I suppose it is not profitable to speculate too much. I'll leave it as is, and we'll see what happens. Either way I won't jump off a cliff. :D
    I've had worse things happen.

Regarding the various AVs, there are more than enough good ones so that anyone can find a secure application. I have stated on various ocassions that most folks I know use AVG free. Not a single one has had an infection. I have heard of one or two that did not keep Windows or their AV updated, but they have been few and far between. Also, none is constantly complaining about his AV. Funny, but they just ignore AVG because it protects and runs well. What more should one desire in an AV?

All I want is one that runs well on my system and has a good detection rate. Fortunately, KAV 6 and F-Secure fill those requirements. The third one that I sometimes use, and that runs without problems for me is Avast Home.

I liked Avira real well, but it had a few problems that I was not willing to work through.

Best,
    Jerry

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Dont be shocked at this, but I was using NOD32 with a 2 yr licence, and I had the settings as Blackspear sugests in the NOD32 forum. I wonder why it didnt find it?:ninja:

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm not the least bit shocked because as we all know no Av is 100%.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not seen post re F-Prot lately. I wonder what the status of the new version beta is?

Jerry

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you expect any top notch AV to be 100% reliable, you may as well believe in utopia. If an AV fails systematically (I think NOD32 is as reliable as KAV and others) then it is time to change.

AVs on their own are not enough to guarantee a reasonable 99% security, but used with HIPS, sandboxes and/or virtualization, your system becomes really impenetrable.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree with that is safe n sec a good HIPS?

22. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

I'd rather believe AVG reported a false positive. That's what happened to me before. BTW KIS is the best if you'd like buy I can get you a real good deal ($35 for the 1st year less than half for subsequent years)

23. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

The word I received from the Frisk folks this last week is that they expect the new F-Prot version to go gold in the next month or so. Its running wonderfully on my other box right now...:)

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Mongol,
    Thanks for the update. F-Prot seems to have a good following, and I am expecting its detection rates to improve.

Best,
    Jerry

25. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

AV Comparatives did a special test of the current F-Prot 3 and new Beta version and it is already showing quite an improvement. Inspector Clouseau's new Maximus Heuristic scanner is showing its teeth eh?...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.