Test your proxy or vpn with this

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by firefox2008, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, Thanks for posting :thumb:

Interesting tests :D

an.gif

psd.gif

tp1.gif

tp2.gif

ShieldsUp @ https://www.grc.com verifys the above

su.gif

The www that leaked the least amount of my info, was http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html :) = Ironically this was the only one that was HTTP, whilst all the others were HTTPS :(

All done with NoScript on MAX

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

4. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Analysis of your current connection

Your IP is 204.93.160.84 , no proxy can be detected
    Your country is , (Unknown City)
    Your hostname is unknown.scnet.net
    Your primary language is english

Raw header data
    [HTTP_HOST] => www.cloakfish.com
    [HTTP_USER_AGENT] => Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
    [HTTP_ACCEPT] => text/html,application/xml,*/*
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE] => en-us
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING] => gzip, deflate
    [HTTP_DNT] => 1
    [HTTP_CONNECTION] => keep-alive

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It thought I was in Portugal. First time I've seen that. This server is actually in Netherlands, and that's what I was expecting to see.

Thanks for this test. So far I've passed all of them I've come across for both IP & DNS.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I allowed both cloakfish.com and squabbel.com in NoScript. I use RefControl with default=<forge>. Many other sites (say, -http://whatismyipaddress.com) do map that exit IP. Some report that it's suspected proxy.

* Your IP is 95.163.n.n (leaked ip=95.163.n.n ), no proxy can be detected
    * Your country is , (Unknown City)
    * Your current IP does not have a reverse hostname
    * Your primary language is english
    * You followed a link from http://www.cloakfish.com/

Raw header data
    [HTTP_USER_AGENT] => Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110921 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.23
    [HTTP_ACCEPT] => text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE] => en-us,en;q=0.5
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING] => gzip,deflate
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET] => ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    [HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE] => 115
    [HTTP_REFERER] => http://www.cloakfish.com/
    [HTTP_DNT] => 1

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

8. luciddream

* Your IP is 217.23.4.105 , no proxy can be detected
    * Your country is Portugal, (Unknown City)
    * Your hostname is customer.worldstream.nl
    * Your primary language is english

Raw header data
    [HTTP_USER_AGENT] => Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 Firefox/3.6.23
    [HTTP_ACCEPT] => text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE] => en-us,en;q=0.5
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING] => gzip,deflate
    [HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET] => ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    [HTTP_DNT] => 1

... interesting that it showed a country for me unlike the others. It was just the wrong one.

And Firefox 3.6.14 CloneRanger? Geez, and I thought I was old school ;)

9. CloneRanger

@ LockBox

I had forgotten about your link :( So thanks for the reminder as it's a good one :thumb: I went through a Proxy, with NoScript disabled just to discover what they/others might

sw.gif

It appears from the blank placeholders, that as i don't have Java, a lot of sensitive info doesn't get uploaded :D So yes Scripting is not advisable, but it "seems" that Java is the worst offender :thumbd:

@ luciddream

:D Yeah i'm on XP/SP2 as well, with NO updates etc :p It aint broke & runs nice N light too :) Plus my comp is strongly locked down, so no worries here :thumb:

10. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

That's cool, but I think you should at least consider upgrading to the latest version of Firefox, though. One of the greatest privacy enhancements in FF4/+ is that they finally did away with the locale information in the HTTP_USER_AGENT variable. In your case, that would be the en-GB portion of your User-Agent string. From a log file analyst's standpoint, that a really big clue as to your REAL country of origin. Prior to FF4, you had to use a 3rd party add-on to spoof the locale of the UA to match the country of your proxy/VPN/end-node IP address (or edit it manually in about:config)--which was a real pain. Now with the more recent versions of FF, that's no longer a problem. :)

11. luciddream

Yeah, I like to at least keep my dated setup fully patched. Sounds like an oxymoron, I know. I was reluctant to upgrade to SP3 too at first, but the fears were unfounded. There's no bloat at all, and some dead wood has actually been trimmed. I noticed a few useless services were no longer there.

And now Casper has given me a good reason to update FF. If all of my add-on's will continue to work just fine, I'm all for it. I just fear that with this rapid release I'll perpetually be playing that game ("which add-on's are broken in version x"), and I care not for it. So I'll probably at least only update every 2-3 versions to avoid as many of those scenarios from happening. I want to use my computer, not spend most of my time tweaking and getting used to new versions, which at the rate they're changing could consume more time than actual browsing. Again, a rat race I care not to engage in.

12. CloneRanger

@ CasperFace

Thanks for the "en-GB portion of your User-Agent string" tip :thumb: I've now changed those enties via about:config to US :)

I didn't find it to be "a real pain" 10 seconds max ;)

@ luciddream

Yeah, add-ons etc compatability is a VERY important criteria for me too :thumb: At friends etc homes with much later versions of FF, some of my favourite ones will NOT work for them :thumbd: Good to hear about your SP3 experiences, though i won't be indulging.

13. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Im not using anything but im happy with my results!

No one needs to know this info... (Only a banking site really needs to know i suppose)

14. luciddream

This time I tried it through both my VPN (2 hops), and Ixquick's proxy. The results were quite different:

* You are possibly using a web-proxy at x.x.x.x (France)
    * Your hostname is rt4bbx-89-x.routit.net

Raw header data
    [HTTP_USER_AGENT] => Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; pl-PL; rv:1.9.0.2) Gecko/2008092313 Ubuntu/9.25 (jaunty) Firefox/3.6

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot less information displayed this time. They think I'm in France now instead of Portugal. None of the hops I'm using are located in either place.

It seems to think I'm using Linux too when I'm really running XP Pro SP3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.